Flying lures good or bad

DaRoachster

I have recently acquired a American product called the Flying lure which does seem to be a good product with a new way of working in the water , but basically I would like to now what succes you good people have had with it if any , On English waters preferably but any help appreciated. :D

They're not new - I remember them being advertised when I first got cable TV maybe 8 years ago. I bought a set but the standard of the hooks, jig heads etc was absolutely terrible (and probably illegal as they used lead). I still have them somewhere, and may eventually use them as I now have some better quality gear I bought in the USA.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

I know the ones you mean, i was given two to try out but have never tryed them yet.

Are they the ones that look like a rubber muppet/squid with a jighead with a long flat profile and the hook sit upwards so less likely to snag.The muppet slips over the jighead with the tassely skirt bits facing up the line so it looks back to front. I think the idea is to let the lure'jig sink to the bottom ,tighten up your line then lift it up 1-3 feet then give it slack line, it is then supposed to glide backwards away from you (swimming away ) and so on. It does it on the TV add , but most U.K. lure anglers use wire traces which may unbalance the whole setup?

Many American lures become unbalanced (= floating plugs sink etc )when the slight extra weight of a trace is added.

I have seen them on Cable TV for years too, i'm sure if they were that fantastic the shops would be full of them by now.

I will have to try the ones i have got if they haven't melted into a sticky blob yet , not sure where they are ,i'll have to 'Fish them out!' :rolleyes:

Also another lure they show is the 'Banjo Minnow'this is a rubber shad/grub that has the hook tied to the end of your line/trace then the rubber shad/grub is attached to the bend of the hook by a tiny wire 'corkscrew'fixing so it can move around very freely and life like.They haven't caught on here yet either.

I'm sure lead when it's part of a jighead is legal in UK, but in USA in some states the lead contents and even PVC contents of pack must be shown in a warning on product.

Hope that helps a bit.I'm sure there must be somehere who's used them and will post there verdict.

Richard.

[ 21. August 2002, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: Richard Harvey ]

Use a Lure Instead !! ;)

One quick note - the flying lure heads are bismuth. No lead at all.

And I think the UK prohibition is for smaller lead anyway so these would have been fine except maybe too heavy to work right.

As to the rest, sorry but never used one myself. Nor a banjo minnow.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

DaRoachster /Richard

I have two set-ups of banjo minnow, have caught on the larger size, but haven't used them much, maybe I should in clear water, as they do look good in action.

Don't forget you can use the hooks and corkscrew things with any plastic of your choice.

The Flying lure hasn't caught me anything yet, but is good for casting across canal so that the thing swims under the parked boats or jetties or whatever.

Just a case of waiting for the right spot I s'pose

Could be good jigging around tree in water set-up