Distance Carping

Rob Ward

This has also been posted on the Carp forum:

I'm planning a campaign on a local club water - it's a big lake with two basins, the larger basin has an island (hotspot) in the middle that I estimate to be around a 100 yard cast.

I'll be using a 3lb test curve Giant, Emblem X loaded with 22lb Dynon SK braid, 3.5oz Korda Distance Lead and a short hooklink with small twin baits for optimal distance.

I know how to 'compress the blank' but I remember reading that standing in the correct position can add yards to your casting - what is the correct position?

Also - what is the best tactic for baiting at range, I think the distance involved would make for impractical spodding and there's no way I could get PVA that sort of distance. Can you bait accurately with a throwing stick at that range?

Boating the bait out is another option I suppose but I'd prefer to avoid this if possible.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But if I had to cast out there I would stand with my left foot at five to the hour and my right foot twenty five past the hour, bringing my right foot to the o'clock as the rod went forward of the upright. Bit like putting the shot, as in athletics!

Rob, a 100 yard cast isn't too difficult with modern carping gear, mate, and that range is certainly not beyond the reach of a spod, either.

Rather than go for the 'overhead thump', I prefer to stand sideways to the target area, with my arms 'reaching' back in the manner of one who is about to launch a javelin.

It's all about compressing the rod blank early in the casting arc, and it's DEFINITELY a subject where a picture paints a thousand words, mate. Sorry. :rolleyes:

I'm sure someone on here will know a clickable source of info for you, though.

Terry

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

The overhead thump can be the most accurate option. But for distance I would start of with the rod behind me, obviously, with the tip pretty near the ground. As the rod tip goes forward I would guess it is out to the side at about 45 degress. As Terry says, a picture job. There are videos on the subject. Paul Kerry is a name that springs to mind. I watched a beachcaster at Chatsworth last year, he simply loaded his rod by swinging the lead around and around his head till he had the momentum he required, then he really loaded it, 200m everytime!!

Use the (very) long pole technique? :D

Seriously - what are the odds on achieving any kind of accuracy at this distance? Can you 'clip up' with those kinds of weights and forces involved? I have no clue, just interested.

cheers

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Thanks for the tips, Peter.

Does anyone think that the method you use to release line during the cast makes a difference to the distance obtained? I haven't got particularly long fingers so I usually trap the line against the but of the rod, would trapping the line againts the lip of the spool give me extra yards?

Some sea-anglers use a leather finger stall to catch the line behind on their first finger of the hand holding the rod/reel. Trapping the line against the spool, not so sure that you could hold it that way with the forces involved. A casting 'button' from Breakaway Tackle is favoured by many other sea-anglers.