Distance Carping

Rob Ward

Hi Fenboy, nice to see you back. Sounds like a good time. Hey, you missed out, you could have done an A.R.Hartley! A copy of your book on piking was on E.Bay recently, made a few bob. Hope you have plenty of copies stashed away! As I say, good to have you back.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Peter. Good to get away for a bit and see the rest of the world. UK is a funny little place, going to the dogs, but I love it all the same. Must stop reading the Daily Mail.

Only one copy of that book - hated the production values. It must rate as the worst cover on any book ever published.

Are the bitterns booming yet? Canaries are!!

Fenboy

Bitterns come out in May, haven't heard one yet. Cuckoos already here, great sound of spring.

Agreed, not one of the great book covers. Hit a tenner, okay for a first edition!

Delia's boys done well. Just got to stay there this time - - - - please!

fenboy - glad you had fun but I agree that airports have become a major pain in the hind parts.

Utah Mormons no booze, baccy, coffee. Yup. Not surprised.

Wal-Marts located in areas where there is good fishing carry a large line of fishing gear. Same with hunting and the one here has a great selection of long and short guns. K-marts are fine too in some parts of the country. Financially they aren't doing well in other places though.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

fenboy:

Distance carp fishing? How about in Australia. There are plenty there.

But, seriously. You're about to fish a pit and already decided to cast 100 yards to the obvious feature. Where do you think everybody else will be casting?

Instead of complicating things with talk of tournament casting techniques, try a bit of watercraft. Or, if you can't handle that, try betting odds...

If there are 20 anglers on the water and all are casting to that island, the odds against you getting the run are 20 to 1 against.

On the other hand, if 19 of them are fishing like the mindless morons they're likely to be and you chuck your baits about in the rest of the lake, anything that's away from that feature has your only your baits to eat.

Why does fishing have to be so complicated? Fish aren't.

If you have nothing constructive to say why say anything. You know little of the water and less about my abilities as an angler.

To be honest Rob, in between the lines, I thought that Fenboy was being constructive. Whilst the points made probably had no relevance to yourself, or your water, it was nevertheless sound advice for less specific areas and less able anglers who sometimes tend to follow the herd. It certainly applies to many areas that I go fishing.

It sounded quite patronising to be honest, Peter.

I've done my groundwork on that water, I was on there last night with nothing other than a Marker Rod and I spent last Sunday afternoon sitting in a Willow Tree watching fish.

The reason I've chosen that specific swim is primarily because it's a good margin swim and one of only two on the lake where you could fish to that side of the Island. The majority of the Anglers I've met on the water don't possess the kit to hit that sort of distance so I'm confident it will be a productive area.

Distance cast ... just wang it out.

Plenty of weight gives plenty of distance and plenty big splash. Then wait for anything in that area to settle down.

Next problem... there will be a delay in striking (as compared to a nearby cast), so dont forget the binoculars.

Braid will be in closer contact but heavier weight means more mass to deaden the initial impact. So use big barbed hooks to ensure that the take is there long enough for you.

Big weight, braid, big barbed hook and long distance, and then you have damaged carp.

"Muddlin' along"