Being a mad angler means................

Graham E

I used to do the dreaming about having a bite and waking up as I struck, but I did it on a packed District Line train to Tower Hill, several times! Very embarrassing!!

Where did you fish at Croxley, Graham? I lived there for several years when I was a kid, it's where I started fishing. The Gade, the canal, Croxley Moor, the Aquadrome, great memories! :D

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coxie.

If you look into my articles on the site it will stir some memories about the area for you.

I think it was called memories and milestones?

This is the link

http://anglersnet.co.uk/authors/graham01.htm

Enjoy.

[ 06. November 2002, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: Graham E ]

A wonderful article and very nicely observed. I loved the almost throwaway line, "Boys were younger then", which made me laugh.

I must confess that I had forgotten all about the articles, just keeping a shortcut to the forum on my desktop. I can see myself spending a bit of time catching up.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Yes, very good article, Graham. I remember the paper mill stretch of the Gade, Dickinson's we called it. Discovered that roach like elderberries there. The perch in the Gade loved lip-hooked minnows too, we caught them in and above the little weirpool about half a mile upstream of the bridge at the opening of Dickinson's.

I caught roach on silkweed on the Gade at Cassiobury Park once, as a last resort. Must have been mentioned in Mr Crabtree! (Silkweed, not the fact that I'd caught on it :rolleyes: )

I think you will find that "Eric" is somebody from the ALF, posting on the site in an effort to discredit anglers. At least I sincerely hope so.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I can't understand why anyone would want to try and spoil a thread being enjoyed by others?

Then one of the other postings by same angler was the topic

"Why is the BS site rubbish" or suchlike.

There are some sad, lonely, people around.

Waterman

quote:

or how about crawling around in the street on the grass verge outside your house in the dead of night with a torch and bucket

what would the neighbours think

I can add to that hows about explaining to two large economy sized policemen in the back of their car why you were crawling around with a torch and bucket, after the neighbours reported a perv on the loose?

who was that perv? :o:o

That was no perv officers that was me :D a humble angler collecting his bait for tommorrows trip to the river, honest officer here's my rod licence, my club card, and if you take me home you will see my tackle (er um fishing equipment) :o:D:D

It took me an hour to convince these guys I was who I said I was and why I was out there.

Just recently I've had patrol cars slow beside me when I've been worming by the roadside, but all I get these days is a knowing smile and wave, I must be getting well known or something

Bluey

If the hat's missing

I've gone fishing

Decided to travel light today, arrived at the swim, got sat down net ready etc.. unwrapped rod then remembered the reel which was back home in the garage :rolleyes:

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates