Floating on deep water

Not much of a float fisherman either , i think i would put all the weight at the bottom near the hook and have the line free running though the bottom eye of the float and a stop knot on your line 15-20 foot upfrom hook. I would then fish it lift type of style,If it's a river it may be hard to use this method , then you maybe able to 'Lay on' , but i don't know if that would work with a free sliding float and stop knot :confused:

I'm as interested as you to hear other ideas,Richard.

[ 21. August 2002, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Richard Harvey ]

Use a Lure Instead !! ;)

For me there is little difference in presentation between a pop-up of 3 feet and a float of 10 ft.

Wondering what distance you are trying to reach with your cast, length and TC of rod and bait choice? These would be important considerations before selecting a rig for your purpose.

Phone

You would be better off using a bodied slider float,one which as some loading in the base of the float,then place a bulk 4' or 5' from the hook and then place some droppers below this.Then place a swan shot on your line near your hook and cast it out and wait to see if the float goes under,you will know when its on the bottom.

Now there are two ways of stopping the float either with the sliding stop knot or using the commercial stops available,but in ither case i would personally use two of either or at least one of each for security.

HTH

I'm river fishing with a 13ft float rod 4lb mono line and a size 16 hook. it's not a fast river but does tend to drift around 5 meters a minute. bait i usually use would be sweet corn maggot or worm may use meat on times bit not often.

Also floating faster waters what method should be used and is it possible to get a float to stay in one place without the current dragging it under

p.s. thanks for the replies so far and the ones to come

[ 21. August 2002, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: will this name be ok ]

If you're having to cast some distance then perhaps a float ledger arrangement with a Polaris float as an indicator would be an advantage. This doesn't help if the fish are mid-water though.

It is possible to cast 15ft of line with a 12-13ft rod and use a fixed float. To cast, start with the bait in the water infront of you. Bring the rod back so that the bait lifts out of the water and makes an arc over your head. As the bait makes it's way to it's limit behind you, cast as you normally would. It's a little bit like casting a fly. The majority of the weight should be up near the flaot and you need a clear bank behind you obviously. Soft baits like meat usually end up on the bank behind you though.

Alternatively. A free-sliding float with a stop knot would suffice. The only problem I can see with this would be registering bites on the first few casts if the fish are mid-water. The bait and the shot have to bring the stop knot against the bottom of the float before any bite will be registered.

Tight Lines

Chris

To keep a float up in the flow you will probably require a bodied stick float.An Avon perhaps.You could also try using a longer waggler set up with as little of the tip showing as possible.Line flotant can be helpful when fishing a current as you can sort the line on the surface when it bellies without ripping the water surface.Wind allowing,you could keep the tip of the rod up high so the line doesnt lie on the water.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...