Elusive Esox

Polly

Wont bore you all with the grim details other than little bruv and me blanked AGAIN last Sunday. That's the ninth consecutive all day session without so much as a single run now. We are both getting just a tad pheobic about not catching any pike and have decided when we go next Sunday we will just take our chairs & flasks so we can sit and stare at the lake without the aggro of lugging all that pointless tackle to the swim. It seems such a waste of time and effort when we could just sit and enjoy the scenery.

Seriously though any tips on tackle baits or venue would be REALLY appreciated. We are prepared to travel (within reason)and looking for lakes in Suffolk, Norfolk or Cambridgeshire.

Going to Swanton Morley Nr Dereham, Suffolk next Sunday so any advice gratefullt received.

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

I know you asked about lakes but have you considered rivers? I'm thinking in particular of small intimate ones with lots of features. In my experience fish are much easier to find on these than most other waters, especially if you adopt a roving approach. Do take steps to avoid spooking the fish though.

Sure, you've less chance of a monster,but what river pike lack in size they more than make up for in fighting ability! If you're new to piking and need experience,or you're simply going through a lean spell,I'd suggest it's action that you need. And these small rivers should give you plenty!

The only problem is possible flooding. Bear in mind that at the end of a wet spell it's the upper reaches of rivers that normally fine down first. So if the colour's going out of the water by the weekend you could be in for a bonanza as the pike will be hungry as hell!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Swanton Morley contains a good head of Pike including some very large specimens (30lb + I am led to believe). Catching them, and in my experience this season any other species, can be very hit and miss (in my case usually miss!) The lake directly in front of you when you turn off the road (Curly's) seems to be the most fished for pike and if you turn right on entering then head straight on into a cul de sac (the main road round the complex turns to right 50 or so yards inside the gate) where there are several pegs on the left that seem very popular. I went there a week last Sunday and, apparently, several decent pike were caught around these pegs (I got a big fat zero, my first this season) There are 3 big pits that hold pike and if dead baiting proves slow lure fishing is relatively easy with mostly easy casting and clean bottoms. The water in them goes to 12-15 feet plus and the serious pike fishers seem to sling the bait well out. The ajacent River (Wensum) also holds pike, I have had one of 8lb on sprat this summer, and the stretch is included on the day ticket but with the rain we have had and are going to get it will probably be unfishable this weekend. Day tickets are £5 from the bailiff on the bank, they all seem to be very helpful and willing to talk, this is probably your best source of info. If it is not persisting it down on Sunday I will probably be going down for a few hours, let me know what to look out for and I will come and have a natter, you might even be able to help me with some good advice!!!

Pete

Easily accessable pike waters in Norfolk & Suffolk are being hammered relentlessly at the moment, which is not making it any easier for anyone. Last Sunday was poor just about everywhere though. The weather was nobody's friend. Coincidently those of us who can pick & choose our fishing time have being doing well lately, mid week when the pressure is off. Almost without fail the hot spots are tied up at weekends leaving strangers to a water out in the cold. My impression Polly, is that you are visiting a number of waters. Personally I would work just one water for a season & really get to know it rather than trailing from one to another. Apart from luck I reckon that's the best way to succeed with pike.

I meant plagued as in when fishing single maggot and pulling in a small silver fish it is taken by a pike, or hooking into one on treble maggot when feeder fishing.

As for culling....no way, all fish are amazing in my mind and each and every pike is carefully and lovingly replaced back into the water.

Anyway as per my last post, if its Pike that does it for you then the Soar is worth a go.