Newby hall

aero

Guest NickInTheNorth

Hi Aero

It's 8 years and 4 days since the last time I fished Newby Hall, but it is the best days fishing I have ever had.

The chub and the barbel were going crazy in the fast water about 200 yards below the weir.

My best chub on the day 7lb 2oz, best barbel 9lb 13oz, out of a total catch of 65 chub and 23 barbel for me and 2 others sharing the swim.

Enjoy!

I too am interested to see if Newby Hall is now open for fishing as i havent fished it for over 10 years since moving to the east coast.

Me and 2 friends are planning a reunion fishing weekend and Newby hall was our favourite venue and we had some good times there.

Never cought no Barbel there though and would like to catch some next time i fish there.

I remember my mate walking over the weir to get to the other side and as he walked over he cast a lobworm about 6 foot above the weir and a 5lb chub took it about 3 foot from the weir top.

I also fell in one day after walking too far along the weir wall and luckily i soon touched bottom and gave my mates a surprise as i stood midriver with the water up to my chest.

Morning i said as they looked at me gone out and i then cast out and pretended i was fishing.

Newby Hall :D:D:D .......i got to have some of that again.

Guest NickInTheNorth
aero:

It is open agin for fishing Im going for a session on sunday. How were you fishing near the weir. i thought it was really shallow

If you go as far along the bank as you possibly can, (watch out it's really steep and overgrown - or was) there is a long thin island across near the far bank. Just across from the end of the island the water deepens from about 2 feet to nearer 8 feet.

Just trot anything you like from the shallow through to the deeper water. You need a fairly bouyant float, carrying something like 2 to 3 swan shot. You don't need to fish too fine. Hold the float back hard in the shallows, then run it through the deeper water slightly slower than the pace of the flow.

Get plenty of feed going in, feed every cast, and if the fish are there, and really start going for it you can feed twice a cast. The day I mentioned above we got through 4 gallons of maggots and 2 gallons of casters between us - but that was quite exceptional.

Good luck!

travelling up north turn of the a1 at borobridge travel dow the road down the side of the a1 then at the rounderbout turn left under the a1 then follow the road its on your right hand side