Perch lures / spinners

RUDD

Well - blow me down with a feather. I was wrong about the Excalibur hooks being obsolete, it seems they are alive and well in the U.S.

For anyone interested, this is how they are described in the advertising info:

Designed with a counter rotating angle in each hook bend, each of the 2 free points of the rotating treble hook travels counter clockwise once contact is made. This movement of the hook points results in at least one other point coming into contact with the fish!This unique treble hook can increase your hook ups by 30%!

Trust me, this is not just a gimmick, they do work. I can't understand why they have never really caught on in the U.K.

There seems to be a little confusion about the name, some people quote them as "Excalibur" whilst others call them "Xcalibur"

post-20982-1296346962_thumb.png

Edited by Hopinc

Regards,

Dave

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you been catching recently, in winter? Have you found any difference of approach needed compared with summer?

I start in late Autumn and stop in early spring so cant answer the question.

My approach depends on depth, conditions etc:

For an hour during last week (lunchbreak) - Cold Bright day mid way along lake where I know alot of roach caught day before at bottom of marginal shelf so I used a black spinner cast parallel to bank.

I hoped any Perch would have been sitting along the shelf and they would spot the black spinner against the bright sky.

I had a go and found four good sized Perch were following the spinner (no2 mepps black comet) into the margins but would not take it. They just turned around and vanished back into the depths.

Tried a few other patterns and a spoon in other areas of the peg without so much as a follow or knock but time was short.

Gonna have a few hours today (sun 30th).

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!