commercials

davedave

I'm glad i'm not the only one that thinks this way. Like most of you, if there is a correctly stocked lake that has been done carefully and properly and has a bit of a green i will fish it, but from looking at some of them, they're just a dump! Down here in somerset most of them are fairly good like this one here http://www.viaductfishery.com/#0

But i must admit i still prefer my local club pond where it is rare to see anybody else fishing down there, even on a saturday in summer- a shame really because it's got allsorts in there: chub, roach, rudd, crucians, huge perch and more, but like you say, if they fish somewhere else, i can have it to myself!

Still baffles though me why people choose to fish a hole in the ground over a days float fishing on the canal or spinning for perch on the estate pond :huh:

yes viaduct is nice and holds good open matches , ive applied for fishomania tickets for this venue amongst others

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stay away from using the term 'commercial' and try to judge each water on what I know or see about it. All those in the links above are the type of water I would stay clear of. Regardless of the appearance of the surroundings, the colour of the water, and the predominance of a single species in most of the 'galleries' tells me what I need to know to make my decision.

Not my cup of tea, (although the water in most has the same colouration).

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I stay away from using the term 'commercial' and try to judge each water on what I know or see about it. All those in the links above are the type of water I would stay clear of. Regardless of the appearance of the surroundings, the colour of the water, and the predominance of a single species in most of the 'galleries' tells me what I need to know to make my decision.

Not my cup of tea, (although the water in most has the same colouration).

John.

I know what you mean about the colour on the woodpeckers lakes , its a shame the lakeview one doesnt show more pictures as this is a proper river fed lake that dates back over 200years and used to be part of the worth park estate , so the term commercial shouldnt apply here.

What is a commercial technically ?

From one of the commercial websites listed above:

Regardless of what the place looks like, that kind of stocking is why I don't like commercials. 240lb of fish in 5 hours and stocking 40lb carp...madness.

Its misleading because althou its been known to produce 240lb catches they hardly ever have matches on there and you cant use keepnets when pleasure fishing .

Alot of fly fisherman go there and fly fish off the bridge with cork and bristles to look like a dog biscuit and could catch 200+ lb in a day . If its what they like doing who am i to judge.

If its crucians your after and tench then 5m out on the pole with light gear is needed and the crucian are superb (maybe the best in the country)

Theres also some great old bream to be had on the feeder .

The great thing about this lake is its not about the carp unless you delibaratly target them but otherwise you can enjoy the other species in piece .

Ive occasionally hooked the carp ( inevitable on any lake ) whilst going for cruican but that just adds to what fishing is all about

What is a commercial technically ?

As far as I'm concerned Tony, a commercial is just that, a commercial enterprise, where someone makes their living (or part of), from a fishery.

It'a a shame that so many think it's just a case of digging a hole, and filling it with fish, (usually mainly varieties of carp). Some then wrap it up in a nice landscaped parcel, and mention the 'natural' surroundings in their 'blurb'. I'm less concerned with what's above the water, it's what's usually under the water that puts me off.

I think it's now got to the point where what's considered to be acceptable as a near natural stocking level, is actually many times what it should be. As the expectations of anglers have grown, 'normal' stock levels have followed suit.

These waters were built with match fishing in mind, to try and reduce the number of 'hot pegs' or 'flyers', (which could never be completely possible), but now they are the first, (and sometimes the only) waters many anglers fish.

As I said, they're not for me.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

It's probably clearer if I don't use the term 'commercial'. What I personally dislike is overstocked waters - that is, where a water (usually a stillwater) has been stocked artificially higher than natural stock density. This is regardless of species, although it is most commonly done with carp. Many are commercial day ticket waters, and many are also club lakes following suit (and being ruined in the process).

Once you have a water that cannot naturally sustain the fish that have been put in it, I have moral issues with its purpose. This is why virtually all my fishing is done on rivers these days. It's really hard to find a 'naturally stocked' stillwater now.

I think a lot of these places are on very dodgy animal welfare grounds personally. Yet the people who fish them are the first to tell us all about their safe rigs and utmost respect for their quarry. Phrases straight from the magazines that mean nothing.

Other related things I take issue with are the stocking of alien species (commonly referred to as 'exotics'), stocking barbel into stillwaters, and the stocking of extra large specimens into lakes that would never have bred fish that size. The whole scene is such a joke, which is why I'm a miserable sod and spend my summer blanking and my winter covered in mashed bread :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The only good thing about the "commercials" in my area is that a couple of them have produced some whopping great big Perch!

Pity they tend to be pale in colour due to the heavily coloured water

What winds me up is the clubs that take over traditional little overgrown ponds and turn them into commercials, the venue i caught my pb Perch from is a prime example, it used to have overhanging bushes and trees with branches trailing under the water - perfect for Perch location until a local club took it over, ripped every bush or snag out of the margins and places wooden platforms all around the lake :(

Jan/Feb/March - Chub, Pike & Perch

A few of the commercials near me that i occasionally go to have been done really well, not overstocked, very picturesque, lots of bird and general wildlife and overall very healthy fish habitats. Am i naive living down in the countryside to what commercials are really like...After a very recent post i looked on the website and saw this was one of their pools!

http://www.canonbridgefishing.co.uk/Heron_photo2.htm

Is it me or is this nothing more than literally, a hole in the ground. I've heard this term many times before in refernce to commercials but only now do i really see why.

Apart from a few reeds and some trees in the background this looks so man made its unreal. I don't mean to offend anyone but who would want to fish it, just looks like a dump!!

Is this what most commercial fisheries look like? Are there worst or is this one of the better ones because to me that doesn't look like much!

I am going there tomorrow as there is something vey important you have missed - they have a new species that I have never heard of until now and I want to catch one:

Two Pools are available for you to fish from and you will find Roach, Red, Tench, Gudgeon, Carp, Crucian and Bream in both pools.

Anyone have any idea of method / bait to catch one and what size of fish I can expect?

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I am going there tomorrow as there is something vey important you have missed - they have a new species that I have never heard of until now and I want to catch one:

Anyone have any idea of method / bait to catch one and what size of fish I can expect?

Its the only thing that brings the anglers in .

The chance of a RED :lol:

I don't get it? did they mean rudd or what :s

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."