Sweet Corn digestion

Bradford Angler

Vagabond:

Vagabond:

as one who got onto corn in the mid 70s, when it was still on the secret list

Secret ?

There is also a picture, taken in 1914, of a large bag of Wadhurst Lake carp taken on boiled maize. (see "A History of Carp Fishing" Kevin Clifford, page 183) Maize was still being used in the 50s when the "Alternative Wadhurst Syndicate" were busy removing carp from Wadhurst and stocking local ponds - now they WERE secretive, those Sussex yokels

Vagabond - it is very possible that some bait you knew as a young lad would have been forgotten and now, a hundred years later, would be considered "secret". :D
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Yes, I know that corn in various forms was used to catch carp many decades ago, but at the beginning of the modern craze (circa 1972-4) it was very much a secret bait on most carp waters. So much so that when I got onto it, I would spend ages at tackle down time clearing every dropped grain from the banks and margins in case anyone sussed out what was going on.

It was a real instant bait, and catches (by the standards of the time) were incredible. The bread flake, potato, worm, crust, catfood and sausage meat carpers might manage a 'double' in a weekend-long trip; at the same fisheries, corn would catch four or five doubles - and a possible 20 - in a morning! And, yes, it was instant - I caught fish from lots of venues first time there where corn had never been used before. Happy days. :cool:

Tiger nuts are another odd bait, one which carp can (but don't always) eat and excrete without any apparent effect on the nut - depends whether or not the throat teeeth crush them up, I guess. In whole form, they seems to be indigestible. A tiger can just come out of the back end of the fish in almost the same state that it went in the front.

I have often speculated that some 'growlers' get eaten and excreted by carp after carp, the baits sort of 'fishing themselves' for ages.

[ 15. November 2002, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Broughton ]

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

Point taken Bruno - when "Oi were a lad" we used to use a paste flavoured with a touch of the shambles - that was well on the secret list.

These days I use black pudding unless I have succumbed to temptation and eaten it for breakfast

[ 16. November 2002, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I know from keeping pond fish that if you introduce Carp to any degree that you have to seriously upgrade the filter system as they produce a massive amount of waste compared to other fish....Maybe thats a valid point or just a way for Mr shopkeeper to sell more pumps and filters etc ???

As for sweetcorn, Isn't something to do with the high amounts of starch in corn. Not sure if this is right or even the right ingredient, but I'm sure that I can remember reading something along these lines.

Newt:

For that matter, lots of the other carpers on here may get some new information and ideas from reading this one-page but that Alan put together in March of last year when the US site carp.net was still functioning.  It has since died but luckily someone saved this article before it's demise.

You can go back to a time when a 'dead site' was still alive by using the 'Way Back Machine'.

You can even go back to a time before articles that you are interested in were deleted from current sites.

So long as you have the site URL.

http://webdev.archive.org/

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust