Close season review, the fight is still on.

Peter Waller

I note that dear old Angling Times is still stirring the issue of the close season. Nothing to do with money I'm sure!

Apparently the EA is holding yet another review. AT reckons the rivers will be open 12 months per year within three years.

This seems to be a good time to be joining the RSSG, writing letters to your MP, badgering the NAA/NFA/SAA and generally being a pain in the nether regions of our decision makers.

The rivers are returning to their old form, don't lets loose it. Over-fishing has just about killed the North Sea.

[ 15. November 2002, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Here Here!!! I shall be banging off a letter to my local MP - who just happens to be Martin Salter - who alledgedly has a brief to support angling - will ask him on his views (and report back here if I get a response!)

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Peter

Angling Times are re-circulating an old story. It must be because they do not have the staff to attend angling briefings from Martin Salter MP, NAA and BDAA at Portcullis House! See AM next week.

SAA is opposed to any change in the close season on rivers and working closely with NFA and NAA to oppose any such change.

The big question must be why are the EA spending licence payers' money doing research on the question of the close season based on a particularly poor bit of journalistic spin from AT? SAA will be asking David Clark again next week for an answer to this.

The EA methodology is flawed simply because most anglers now fish still waters and any sample taken simply from licence buyers will heavily reflect still water interests rather than those of us who fish rivers as a first choice.

Mike

Join the SAA today for only £10.00 and help defend angling.

Guest pholt_uk

Excuse my igonorance but having just got back into the sport and never really fished a river what exactly are the closed season start and end dates for the rivers?

Ta

I still have a close season personally , it gives me a few months to sort out what tackle needs replacing etc and plus June 16 is still a magical date for me - I never used to be able to sleep the night before !!

Bl***y ducks

chip:

June 16 is still a magical date for me - I never used to be able to sleep the night before !!

I NEVER sleep the night before - I'm sitting on the bank waiting for midnight!!! :D

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Could I ask that this forum might be used to instruct and inform those of us who don't really know the pro's and cons of the argument other than the (perhaps) political spin we may read in AT.

For instance I know that the original intention of a closed season was partly to allow banks to recover and fish spawning to take place unhindered, but I also read somewhere that fish spawn at different times and in any case the closed season dates from 18..(something) since when fish spawning times have changed a bit.( :confused: ) if this is true wouldn't it make sense to investigate the effects and best time for a closed season or has this been done?

As you may gather I am not a river angler (yet) though I intend to correct the matter this very weekend.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Snotty, if Christmas was held on 365 days per year then Xmas would cease to have any real meaning. Its worth having a close season just so you can have an annual June 16th!!

The close season takes the pressure off the fish for three months of the year. Species like pike and barbel really need this break. From my point of view, as a keen piker, I firmly believe that pike need to be able to feed without that survival instinct having to kick in and say 'watch it, there's probably a hook in that dead fish'. Pike are incredibly easy to catch in April & May, so I understand. They need to be protected from over exploitation.

The close season also helps maintain our credibility as conservation minded people. We are off the banks at a time when many waterfowl are nesting and much fauna & flora is at its best.

It is this conservation aspect that greatly concerns me. If we abandon the close season on our rivers I believe that we will loose credibility with the conservation lobby.

Effectively there is no close season. When I cease river fishing I can turn to game fishing, or I can turn to sea fishing. Heaven forbid, I can even turn to a muddy hole in the ground!

As things are there is a close season for all those who want one. The still water lobby can have their 52 week season, if they want it. Those of us who want a close season can also have our way, by fishing the rivers.

As sportspeople a season seems a reasonable thing. Some folk play cricket in the summer, and play football during the winter. Heaven forbid that we have football rammed down our throats 52 weeks of the year!

And, apart from anything else, its traditional, and the close season allows me to give my car its annual wash and polish!

waterman1013:

Peter

Angling Times are re-circulating an old story.  It must be because they do not have the staff to attend angling briefings from Martin Salter MP, NAA and BDAA at Portcullis House!  See AM next week.

SAA is opposed to any change in the close season on rivers and working closely with NFA and NAA to oppose any such change.  

The big question must be why are the EA spending licence payers' money doing research on the question of the close season based on a particularly poor bit of journalistic spin from AT?  SAA will be asking David Clark again next week for an answer to this.

The EA methodology is flawed simply because most anglers now fish still waters and any sample taken simply from licence buyers will heavily reflect still water interests rather than those of us who fish rivers as a first choice.

Mike

Mike, your words give me hope. Sanity in an insane world afteral! Thanks mate.