Wallis Casting Video

Spindle

Excellent, thanks for that Spindle. Only problem is that I can't turn up the volume sufficiently but that's down to the laptop I think.

Paul

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gray

That's the style John Wilson uses. It's not called the Wallis cast, I think it's called the "Sheffield Style" or something. Somebody will no doubt correct me.

If you look at JW's trotting rods, he has extra eyes whipped onto his rod butts to help with this style. Either way, he catches a damned site more fish than me...!!!

Is that not the Nottingham cast?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

No!! The Nottingham Cast (or more accurately the Nottingham Style) is the cast that Wallis described in print in the 1930's and which now takes his name. Thus the Nottingham cast and the Wallis cast are one and the same....

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

This is how Wallis himself describe's the Nottingham Cast. Taken from the 1930's book 'Fine Angling for Coarse Fish'.

“...the rod, has the reel fixed 10in. in from the butt and is firmly held in the right hand by the first three fingers and thumb, leaving the little finger free to act as a very delicate brake or check on the top rim of the reel. The tackle is held by the fingers of the left hand, the thumb being looped over the line from the reel. The rod is now brought forward and nearly horizontal and parallel with the left shoulder, the little finger of the right hand holds the reel in check; the rod is now brought forward with a firm but easy sweep, and at the same time the line is pulled off the reel backwards to the full extent of the left arm. The momentum contributed by the swing of the rod propels the float forward quicker than the eye can follow, the little finger of the right hand has released the drum of reel and at the psychological moment the line running over the thumb of left hand is brought forward, down goes the little finger on the reel as the cast is completed and the float alights on the water 100ft away. Of course timing of this cast must be as accurate as that of a six-cylinder engine in a motor-car, but once mastered is simplicity itself. The best methods for the learner to adopt being to follow the above suggestions and get just a few yards away to begin with, then to add an extra yard or two every time until the full distance is attained.”

So that's all clear then!! :D

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Nice piece of work Spindle. I've watched it three times and still squinting at the screen trying to catch the final flourish to the cast. There again I've only just bought my first ever pin and am still trying to come to terms with loading the line !! :o

Gary

><((((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><(((º>

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´><((((º>

It wasn't easy trying to film that bit. I did try to get my camerawifeman to get into a better position, but she would have been standing in the middle of the river, so she wasn't keen.

The one available at the moment is the medium res version - it might be clearer with the hi-res version, which Elton hasnt got yet, but might make available at some point depending on bandwith etc.

[ 18. November 2002, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: spindle ]