Perch questions/big baits/nucience fish

singy

As Steve says rudd are great tackle tanglers but they are fine when legered especially when using a length of rigid in-line tube say 12 inches with 8 inch hook links. Half an ounce of lead is all that is needed use a light butt indicator but clip up lightly in front of the indicator / buzzer. As an alternative use one rod and a free rover set to fish 12 inches off bottom, serching out likely areas. Suggest using a float that will support 3/8oz to 1/2 oz of lead ten inches above the bait, thus restricting the baits upwards movements. Size 6 hook nicked lightly between head and dorsal fin I have found the best. Suggest starting with 6lb test main line and 4lb test hook link, joined by a small swivel. Softish Avon style rod of around one and a quarter pound test curve ideal.

Happy perching

Alan.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know much about the paddock eels and perch, but would expect it to be very similar to legger's. We had Eels to 5lb+ out of the Dam, but if you've allready spoke to seffo you'd probably know that.

Happy hunting

Cheers for all the advice guys.

Singy

Paul Singleton

The Book of the Perch is a book I have just finished reading, it is a collection of anglers' experiences fishing for big perch.Favourite livebaits are gudgeon and small perch, I am a bit of a lure man and find size 3 or 5 silver vibrax spinners will find any large perch ,it's a good way to explore the water. Best of luck Bob C

Hi Bob, glad you've enjoyed The Book of the Perch. Peter Rogers and I have been asked to do a 2nd edition as it's so sought after, but have decided not to as I'm about a third of the way through writing my own perch book. This will be part stories and part instruction but won't be finished until after the typist (my wife, Peggy!) retires, which be next July at the earliest.

In the meantime you might find the series I've written on perch here on Angler's Net to be of interest.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

A size 6 hook would give a far better chance of hooking the perch. Likewise if you are lip hooking a fish bait the hooking ratio Ihave found to be better if the point of the hook is facing away and to the front of the bait rather than pointing towards the bait itself, i.e. insert hook from behind the lip and out of the mouth rather than the other way around.

Alan.

A.M. - glad to see you don't like treble hooks for perch. They do far too much damage and aren't necessary for "stripies".

However I agree with Alan's points, and in fact size 6 is the smallest hook I'd use on a livebait of this size - any smaller and you miss too many fish on the strike or when playing them. The same happens with lobworms, although to a lesser extent.

I also find that bob floats cause too much resistance and can spook the perch. When I'm fishing a baited up area I prefer an undershotted waggler fished with a sunk line. This slows the bait down and also stops it wandering too far. The only time I use a top and bottom float when after stillwater perch from the bank is when I want to cover a lot of water.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I like to use the round 'pilot' type floats when perch fishing due to there viability. In the main I use sizes from one to one and a half inches across and select the size according to the size and strenght of the live bait.

Recently I have made some 'pencil' floats from 8mm balsa wood. They vary in length from 3 to 7 inches and are attached bottom end only with a float adaptor for ease of change according to the size of bait.

Early indications and trials are good and I think all my future perching will be with these.

Alan

Take a half ounce Wye lead and attach it to the top of Mepps with a small split ring. You can paint the Wye any colour you like but I reckon red is a Perch favourite. Plumbing or counting down may help you establish the depth of the water and once you do, keep the lure about a foot off the bottom and retrieve slowly and ever so mechanically. The John roberts bait savers are also good for attaching to the trebles. They flutter on the retrieve and can turn a boring lure into an attractive little fish. Works for me.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...