Favourite current writer

darrell.cook

Met Des when he worked at Silstar. You are right! Mind you I sometimes thought being a man's man was a bit of an act.

Correction, Peter Collins came from an Oulton Broad boatyard family, just along the road from me.

Mick Brown, yes, a lovely man. Doesn't appear to write so much nowadays. Think that he lost a great deal of credibility when he wrote supporting 'bivvy boy' style piking using Fox alarms, just as Fox had agreed to sponsor him! Bit blatant and I thought it less than sincere. Shame, and to be honest, I haven't seen much of his output since. One of the nicest pikers out there though.

I find it hard to sympathise with Peter Collins. I don't take any great pleasure in seeing him being brought down, but he has brought it on himself. There is no fool like an old fool, and Peter has proven the point. No, its not nice to see a good old boy in trouble, but I don't believe that the EA should be sympathetic.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sick of saying it but as usual I totally agree with Fenboy and Peters sentiments.A writer who I always enjoyed was Vic Gillings.Sadly Vic is no longer with us but he once told me that to overcome the pressure to come up with new stuff every month he preferred to just write amusing (hopefully any way!) stories about his recent trips.Despite my liking of technical type stuff I certainly found this more acceptable than the rehashed rubbish or controversy for controversys sake that a lot of regular writers churn out.

On the subject of Bailys writing it leaves me with the same soul less feeling that a chess player gets when playing against one of those computer chess games!As said lots of words but very little content.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

BUDGIE:

Sick of saying it but as usual I totally agree with Fenboy and Peters sentiments.A writer who I always enjoyed was Vic Gillings.Sadly Vic is no longer with us but he once told me that to overcome the pressure to come up with new stuff every month he preferred to just write amusing (hopefully any way!) stories about his recent trips.Despite my liking of technical type stuff I certainly found this more acceptable than the rehashed rubbish or controversy for controversys sake that a lot of regular writers churn out.

On the subject of Bailys writing it leaves me with the same soul less feeling that a chess player gets when playing against one of those computer chess games!As said lots of words but very little content.

Could one of you 'mods' delete this please :)

[ 12. July 2004, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: lyn ]

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Originally posted by BUDGIE:

[QB] .A writer who I always enjoyed was Vic Gillings.Sadly Vic is no longer with us but he once told me that to overcome the pressure to come up with new stuff every month he preferred to just write amusing (hopefully any way!) stories about his recent trips.

Sadly he never got chance to write a book. I often quote Vic, everytime I fish a river I think of him. He once said he hated rivers becaused they moved!!! I am the opposite and I know what has put me off carp fishing was spending days as a kid sitting with my brother and Vic at Cutmill behind these static rods

A picture of Vic with a nice brace of perch has pride of place on my lounge wall.

Have to agree with you Budgie

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

I tend not to prefer writers, but specific books, Trout and Fly, In wild waters plus a few others. As I personally do not read any of the angling papers or mags (sometimes dip into my wifes copy of FF &FT) no comment. Years ago when I did buy the odd angling paper to read on the train whilst I commuted to London, one thing struck me, as I prepared myself for the crush on the tube. Non stop preaching about size does not matter, don't take it too seriously, pursuit of big fish is flawed etc etc. I was younger then and all I thought was "well how the hell did you get the job you have then, and do you want to swap for mine." The thing that finally did me in as a customer of the angling press was an article by DT which slagged pike off as "why spend hours after a fish that does not fight when you hook it", the sub text was I am well known for some big pike but I only go couple of times a year, catch big ones, aren't I clever. Very much do as I say not as I do.

I tend to find most fishing books cover the same ground over and over, usually playing upon nuances in approach, which if considered fully are of dubious benefit, may be coincidental other factor(s), or specific to a particular venue.

If there is one thing one the cover of a periodic publication that ensures I leave it on the shelf, it is "new tactics for......." or "Killing tactics for........." Oh yeah..

John Sidley...yes, of course. What a loss to the angling world.

He really was himself. He wrote as he spoke, in pure Brum. About 20 years ago it was my job to edit his work, which could be a nightmare at times because I didn't understand Brimingham dialect. Also, John had no respect for spelling, grammar, syntax - he just wrote as he spoke, just as he would tell a story to your face.

I didn't appreciate that at the time (I still had a lot to learn) but I showed his work to a senior colleague who said - and I quote - "That is pure brilliance. If Geoffrey Chaucer was alive today, that would be how he wrote about fishing".

At the time, I still hadn't completely recovered from the slog of studying bloody Chaucer at school. Olde English isn't much fun. But, in retrospect, I can see what he meant.

Unlike some modern writers, whose prose goes through the word processor without touching the sides.....

Fenboy

i enjoy the writings of...

terry hearn

nev fickling

mick brown

ian welch

stef horak

tony miles

terry lampard

martin bowler

matt hayes

phil smith

dave tipping

damn theres loads but they are my faves.

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!