Floater fishing foulhooking in the autumn

WickerDave

This post is about a month late, but since I've only just registered I'll ask it for next year.

When surface fishing for carp in a small still water mid-October this year and mid-October last year, I've caught a few fish but most of them have been foulhooked in the front end.

At this time of year it seems to be the better fish (6 to 12 lb) that are most active on the surface, but rather than the usual non-taking behaviour of mouthing or nudging the bait they seem to roll over it - hence the foulhooking.

Is it the floating leaves on the surface at this time of year or just wising up after 6 months of seeing floating baits that has changed their behaviour?

Any suggestions for approaches to get them to take the bait properly?

WickerDave - welcome to AN. And don't worry about the topic being timely. With winter upon us, all topics appreciated.

Maybe if you describe your rig you can get some ideas and suggestions.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Just a thought, but a lot of people think they've foul-hooked fish when what has actually happened is that the hook pulled but because the line was tight and the fish was swimming away fom the resistance the hook actually snaged the fish immediately after it leaves the mouth. I think a lot of near-mouth foul hookings occur this way.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

it could be a instinctive action on the part of the fish ,maybe the fish due to the water temp is less hungry but still the instinct is to grab the bait as its there .the "take" may be only half hearted so the bait isnt sucked into the mouth just dropped out, on the strike the hook may still be close enought to foulhook ,i have noticed similar in pond fish they go for floating pellets but seem not to eat them but may hold them for a few sec half in half out of their mouths then drop them :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Newt, thanks for the welcome. I did a fair amount of shore-based small spinner/plastics fishing in central Iowa about 20 years ago when working there, so I have been following the US posters with interest. I never did catch anything big, but the variety of fish you have that will take a lure is amazing. Pretty fish too, especially when compared to the Iowa farm girls :) . I've also done a bit of lure fishing around Austin, Texas, mainly at Lake Travis.

To answer the rig question, the tackle is simple. 1.25 TC Avon rod, 8lb line (thin diameter mono), size 6 hook with breadcrust directly on the hook (not hair-rigged), freelined if possible, or using a surface controller if the fish are further out. This fishery bans boilies (hence floating boilies) and cat/dog biscuits, so the floating bait options are fairly limited.

I'm a huge fan of both circle and kahle hooks. They are designed so they will hook into a small obstruction (like a lip) but rarely into a larger diameter spot so foul hooking should be at an absolute minimum.

Gamakatsu makes a nice thin wire circle - the Octopus line. Smallest available is a #8 but the gap is pretty narrow. In fact, I usually need to go up at least 2 numbers with the circle when compared to kahle (or most other patterns). Barbless I think - or at least no barb I can see but my eyes ain't so great.

For the size fish you mentioned, with the Gamys in an Octopus circle, I'd tend to go with a #2 or possibly as small as a #4. I normally don't go over a #2 unless I expect carp over 25-30 lbs.

Haven't personally fished either Iowa or Texas. May get to the Austin area one of these years though. Big annual carp tourney. Even drawing some UK & Euro carpers now. Would plan to take some extra days though to get some Bassin in and maybe some catfishing time as well.

[ 23. November 2002, 04:50 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President