Hello from new member in Suffolk

Badger100

Hello John, you mention the fens being within 40 miles, where would you suggest trying for a zander. I hadn't realised I was that close, this is one fish i would love to catch. By the way found the Rushbrooke farm resevoir today, looks interesting and only 5 minutes away. Do the pike go to any size though ?.

Badger100

Hi as regards to rushbrook I have heard of a twenty. the thing with a reasonably large water without pike for years that has a reasonable head of silvers when pike get in they pile on the weight very quick.

My mate had his feeder attacked when fishing beside me it had it in its mouth for a couple of minutes it was a big double. We both got plenty of good looks at it.

Fishing the fens for zander would require a book. There is so much to go at but from here to bury st edmunds mildenhall and the littleport is an easy trip and around 40 miles. I do it very regular but for silver fish.

The whole area is great for predator fishing so you need to get studying the net. I join the K.L.A.A. and the L.A.A. that both have large stretches of the ouse from littleport to denver. They both have websites.

There is also lots on dayticket as are their waters. There is annually a charity pike match south of littleport towards ely every year. Eley beet have a huge stretch near eley on dayticket on the bank as do littleport angling.

When I started fishing the fens it was like having a never ending christmas stocking. The deeper you looked the more goodies you will find.

Regards

John

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can also recommend a KLAA book for zander fishing in the fens (and lots of other species too). Although zander are pretty well spread out now, the fen drains always feel like their real UK home, the best and proper place to fish for them. A lonely night spent on a still, silent, featureless drain in a perfectly flat landscape waiting for a properly wild, enigmatic predator to break the silence...magic :)

I was about to recommend Steve Younger's zander book but just looked it up on Amazon and it's now really expensive! You might find a cheaper one though: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fenland-Zander-You...0688&sr=8-1

Steve runs a tackle shop in King's Lynn and is usually helpful if you need some info. Or feel free to ask on here, several here have done varying amounts of fenland zander fishing.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I can also recommend a KLAA book for zander fishing in the fens (and lots of other species too). Although zander are pretty well spread out now, the fen drains always feel like their real UK home, the best and proper place to fish for them. A lonely night spent on a still, silent, featureless drain in a perfectly flat landscape waiting for a properly wild, enigmatic predator to break the silence...magic :)

I was about to recommend Steve Younger's zander book but just looked it up on Amazon and it's now really expensive! You might find a cheaper one though: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fenland-Zander-You...0688&sr=8-1

Steve runs a tackle shop in King's Lynn and is usually helpful if you need some info. Or feel free to ask on here, several here have done varying amounts of fenland zander fishing.

Thank you for the info. I have been doing some digging around too. I was thinking of a trip to Welney this week, but have been told that zander are very rarely seen there nowadays. I havn't been there for 20 years or so, but they were fairly common in those days. Is there a drain in that area where I might have a chance of a Z ?.

Badger100

Thank you for the info. I have been doing some digging around too. I was thinking of a trip to Welney this week, but have been told that zander are very rarely seen there nowadays. I havn't been there for 20 years or so, but they were fairly common in those days. Is there a drain in that area where I might have a chance of a Z ?.

Badger100

I'm a bit out of touch to be honest, I'd phone round the local tackle shops.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music