Hello from new member in Suffolk

Badger100

I would like to say hello to all forum members. I am a dedicated pike angler, and for the last 10 years or so have fished rivers only. Primarily the Chelmer in Essex, and the River Nene around the Wansford to fotheringhay section in Northants. I have recently moved to Suffolk, just outside Lavenham. I was wondering if any members could point me in the right direction of a good pike water in my area. Preferably river, or large gravel pit. I would like to get a couple of days in before the end of the season. Any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Badger100

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Anglers' Net. I'll move this to the coarse section where more people will see it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I don't know your area so can't help, but welcome to Angler's Net. :)

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Hi, welcome to Anglers Net.

I live quite close to you, as for a good pike water sorry I am not a pike angler.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Hi Badger100

You are now living within a few miles of some of the best predator fishing to be had.

Locally the river stour has a good head of pike. The deeper stetches around Sudbury hold the biggest fish. Most of the river sections are run by the local Sudbury and Long melford club.

To join go into the tackle shop in north street just beyond argos. George has next years club card now which will allow you to fish out this season aswell with no extra cost.

In addition to the river sections our lake at kettlebaston ( just a couple of miles from you) has also produced some vey good pike. No one new they were there until recently and some big fish have been caught.

A little further afield you have both Alton water at approx 360 acres and ardleigh res at about 160.

They have both got good pike and at ardleigh you can hire a boat.

Within a 40 mile drive you have the fens wich are predator heaven with both zander and pike or a little further the broads.

If you require more specific info please ask.

Oh and welcome to anglersnet. I will help anyone with information I have espescially as when I ask for help I always get a good response.

regards

John

Edited by John Weddup

Welcome and enjoy.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Hi Badger100

You are now living within a few miles of some of the best predator fishing to be had.

Locally the river stour has a good head of pike. The deeper stetches around Sudbury hold the biggest fish. Most of the river sections are run by the local Sudbury and Long melford club.

To join go into the tackle shop in north street just beyond argos. George has next years club card now which will allow you to fish out this season aswell with no extra cost.

In addition to the river sections our lake at kettlebaston ( just a couple of miles from you) has also produced some vey good pike. No one new they were there until recently and some big fish have been caught.

A little further afield you have both Alton water at approx 360 acres and ardleigh res at about 160.

They have both got good pike and at ardleigh you can hire a boat.

Within a 40 mile drive you have the fens wich are predator heaven with both zander and pike or a little further the broads.

If you require more specific info please ask.

Oh and welcome to anglersnet. I will help anyone with information I have espescially as when I ask for help I always get a good response.

regards

John

Thank you for your reply John. I would love to have greater detail if that is not to much trouble please. Like directions to the favourable stretches of the Stour would be good, and what these stretches are known as locally. Also the lake at Kettlebaston, I didn't know about that, I only live in Lindsey, a couple of miles away. What club does that belong to and how big do the pike go, and how big is the lake ?. Perhaps we could talk on the phone maybe ?. I recently joined Hadleigh club, but the Brett seems to shallow to hold good pike , but perhaps you know differently ?. Any help to a stranger around these parts would be much appreciated. thank you also to those who have sent a welcome, it's good to be here.

Badger100

Thank you for your reply John. I would love to have greater detail if that is not to much trouble please. Like directions to the favourable stretches of the Stour would be good, and what these stretches are known as locally. Also the lake at Kettlebaston, I didn't know about that, I only live in Lindsey, a couple of miles away. What club does that belong to and how big do the pike go, and how big is the lake ?. Perhaps we could talk on the phone maybe ?. I recently joined Hadleigh club, but the Brett seems to shallow to hold good pike , but perhaps you know differently ?. Any help to a stranger around these parts would be much appreciated. thank you also to those who have sent a welcome, it's good to be here.

Badger100

Hi Badger100,

I live even nearer you than I first thought...hehehe...you must pass my house if you head to Colchester.

I have only fished Kettle lake twice and did not like it much, almost featureless - best two swims opposite the island by the tree's with your back to the field - boring Carp and a few Roach between two of us fishing it was a constant drag a 6lb to 10lb Carp a cast until I was totally fed up and switched to Roach and even then no challenge. You can pick up a little fun floating bread in the top corner with your back to the field and the farmhouse roughly to your right, if Carp ring your bell.

The Brett can get more interesting towards Layham and the back of Shelley, some interesting Chub down there.

In Hadleigh itself drive down the high road turn right to Topplesfield over the bridge then turn very sharp right onto a parking area, walk the few yards to the river then turn upstream walk about 300 to 400 yds you may have a little luck around there looks a little Pikey to me or perhaps by Topplesfield bridge itself. I have however never seen a Pike in there nor have I seen one caught.

On the Suffolk Stour in SUDBURY as John Weddup has already said there are a few spots with nice Pike in only guessing but 30lb+ is certainly a strong possibility. But as I already said I am not really a Pike Fisher these days.

Look out for John Weddup's threads he get around a fair bit and certainly knows the Suffolk Stour (in the wilder parts) better than most.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Hi badger100

the kettles lake watatoad spoke of is not kettlebaston (rushbrook lake). Kettles is a very small commercial full of small carp.

Kettlebaston is a well matured quite large farm reservoir. From kettlebaston village there is a road leading towards preston st mary but it is a no through road. At the end is the reservoir it is run by sudbury melford club.

The river sections for bigger pike are Rodbridge, between long melford and sudbury, between the road and old railway bridge. The priory behind quay theatre sudbury, Pecks meadow sudbury the island and friars meadow all town stretches wide and deep. Anywhere below cornard lock to henny a couple of miles of open countryside all sudbury melford club water.

regards

john