Lob worms or maggots?

tiddlertamer

Yes whole lobs on a size 8 hooked once in the very head. Trotted maggot usually 14,16 or like tomorrow when I'm primarily after big dace - 18s.

C

Similar to me, although I'd normally use a fine wire size 6 with worm (short shank and wide gape as well). A fine wire hook is lighter in weight so the bait behaves more naturally.

Note that it's not the absolute size of the hook that matters but how big and heavy it is in relation to the bait. I've found that using small hooks with lobworms can lead to missed bites. Hooking in the head helps here as Chris suggested many years ago and is something I've now adopted. Thanks, Chris!

Returning to the original question of maggots versus worms, I've found it very much varies from water to water. On my local clay-based waters that aren't often as clear or as fast-flowing as chalk streams I've found that worms do indeed get a higher average size of fish. This is particularly marked with perch. However it can also vary from day to day, and species to species.

And as others have stated there are many other baits to consider as well. Once again different baits work on different waters. For instance on the Beult, a clay-based tributary of the Medway, bread wasn't that successful for friends and I until we pre-baited with it. A few miles away on the Teise, another Medway tributary, bread was excellent from the off. The Teise however runs faster and clearer, largely on gravel.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Yes whole lobs on a size 8 hooked once in the very head. Trotted maggot usually 14,16 or like tomorrow when I'm primarily after big dace - 18s.

C

What are the advantages of hooking lobs in the head and whereabouts in the head do you hook them? Through the very top or just down from the end?

If fishing maggot on size 14 hooks, are you putting more maggots on than when fishing size 18 hooks for dace?

ie three maggots on a size 14 but dropping back to double maggot for size 18...

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

What are the advantages of hooking lobs in the head and whereabouts in the head do you hook them? Through the very top or just down from the end?

Through the very top but with enough of the lob above the hook to make sure its stays on. A big cast with a lob hooked this way can tear it off so you need to be a bit careful. The idea is that the worm is free to wriggle about a bit, much as it would do if it wasn't attached to a hook. I tear them in half to make a tub go further and haven't noticed them being any less attractive to perch or chub.

If fishing maggot on size 14 hooks, are you putting more maggots on than when fishing size 18 hooks for dace?ie three maggots on a size 14 but dropping back to double maggot for size 18...

Yes, my rule of thumb is 18 and below one maggot, 16 two maggots and 14 just about ok with two, anything larger needs more maggots or a different bait. It's just what looks right to me.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

If the river is anywhere from low to normal levels, with a fair degree of clarity, I'll use maggots. If the river is higher than normal and coloured, after or during period of rainfall, I'll use lobworm.

Worms tend to find their way into rivers, in far greater numbers after or during periods of rainfall and the fish know it. Worms are also visually easier for fish to see when the water is coloured.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...