abu reels

Lucky

I always wanted a Abu when I was a kid but couldnt afford 1. Now my own kids have started fishing I have just managed to get hold of a 506. It has no instructions which isnt surprising and I was wondering how you remove the spool ? I cant wait to use it ! Would it be ok to use with these modern braids for trotting down the river ? Plus Me and the boy have our local club match in Dec , we fished our first match last month but didnt catch anything at all :rolleyes: The Xmas match is on a lake which has a variety of species i believe , is it worth me adding some sort of flavour to the maggots or the groundbait or both ? alex { my 10yr old} would love to catch something in a match , plus I would love to see him take up fishing as there seems to be a decline in juniors fishing nowadays , for instance there are now no juniors in our local club at all except him. { out of 100 odd members}Any suggestions most welcome please.

First of all take off the outer cover by twisting it anti clockwise.

To take the bell housing off take gold of the reel in one hand making sure that you also grip the handle tightly to stop it from moving then with the other hand get hold of the bell housing and turn it clockwise till it comes off.

You then just need to give the spool a quick turn to click it off.

When putting the bell housing back on remember to keep hold of the reel handle to stop it from moving so you can tighten it up.

John.

do not get carried away and buy a abu 507 gold max 2

as i did ,i have been trying for nearly a year to get the bands that stop the line going into the winding cup ,i can get the stuff (like pipe cleaners) for all the old abu`s but not for the 507 ,a perfectly good reel unusable because of a bit of plastic :mad: even reel spares cannot get it :mad:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I've got an Abu 1044 I think it's called. I think it came between the 506 and the 507 or maybe at the same time as the 507 but cheaper.

I sold my 506 and have regretted it ever since.

otherwise I'd have scanned-in the instrcution leaflet and posted it. It's maninly self-explanatory though. I'm sure you'll soon get the hang of it. Like Chesters says, steer clear of the 507 when you're tempted to upgrade.

Richard

The 1044 came after the 506 and 507 and has now been replaced with the 704. I have no longer anything older than a 1044 and only have one of these but I still love them

Paul

Don't be getting people confused with the 507.

There was also a 507 which was practically the same as the 506,the late model was nothing like that.

I also have the 1044 but still prefer the older modelsa to anything produced later.

I am having trouble with my last working 506 at the moment.

When I screw the bell cover in its ok but if I wind in fast the bugger unscrews itself so I will have to sort it.

John.

What we used to do to prevent line getting behind the spool was to glue short peices of mono onto the spool edge. Like the spokes of a wheel extending beyond the rim, if you get my drift.

I can't remember what glue we used, probably araldite 'cos there was no superglue in those days. It was simple and it worked. See how you get on with that Chesters1

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

quote:

What we used to do to prevent line getting behind the spool was to glue short peices of mono onto the spool edge. Like the spokes of a wheel extending beyond the rim, if you get my drift.

I can't remember what glue we used, probably araldite 'cos there was no superglue in those days. It was simple and it worked. See how you get on with that Chesters1

thats exactly what the "rubber" thing looks like ,seems were getting confused with the 507 and the er 507 gold max 2 the latter came onto the market 5??? years ago (after the 1044) hence my annoyance that i can still get all the bits for all previous abu`s but not this one :mad: hopefully the 700 series doesnt have the same rubber band :( ,i have temporarily got round the problem by fitting an elastic band underneath the doofer thus pushing whats left of the little spikes further out :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

^bump^

Can anyone help him out with the other parts of the post? Braid question and match/bait question?

Note to Lucky - you will usually do better if you have non-related questions to post them in different thread with titles that fit the question. Lots of folks will scan for a topic they are interested in or have information on and lots who might know about baiting up for a match would ignore an "abu reel" thread.

[ 02. December 2002, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

http://www.reelvalue.co.uk/index.html

these chaps service most reels . . abu's a speciality . . not used em though . .

now it is the cold season before the close season it might be good time to send off those oldies to have them "done up".

I sent some old abu's off to a place in scotland years ago and they came back like new, greased, new bearings etc . . cost

hold yer breath

501 = 7.50

507 gold max = 2.75

for the works

both had problems with the pins picking up, one I had doctored on the bank of a series league and removed one pick up pin (507) they even replaced this . . however it was not the above company so I can not stand as reference for them . .

I also sent a centre pin back to Cliff Stanton - I thought it was okay . . so it was fifty pence piece shaped, but cliff replaced back plate, bearing, main spool . . in fact the only thing that came back original was the packing box . . that cost me 35 nicker but it was like a new reel . . actually when you think about it, it was :D

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !