Too many baits?

Rykko

My wife was watching as I prepared my baits for tomorrow, and made the comment that did I really need to take so many different baits - maggots, bread, paste, corn, luncheon meat, worms and catfood.

It got me thinking, when I used to fish before my last layoff I'd usually take two baits, an absolute max of three.Now I feel somewhat ill-prepared unless I have at least six baits to hopefully deal with all situations. Anyone else think that you can have too many baits?

It's not only baits!

I've often made the mistake of taking along tackle to cover all situations.

Trouble is, it's then difficult to settle.

Instead of working at making the best of what you have, thinking about the problem, it's too easy to start changing this and that, getting frustrated, going back to that and this.

If you've restricted yourself to one rod and reel, a couple of floats, a few bits and pieces and some bread, you may wish that you'd bought along a feeder to tackle those chub you can see moving under the far bank, or a lure rod to deal with the pike that keeps attacking out of the weedbed, but by heck, you are concentrated on drifting the bread beneath the float, down to that holding area by the near bank!

I get the same problem when lure fishing.

Jerkbait rod, medium weight rod and the light rod with the fixed spool reel for lighter lures and casting spinnerbaits into the wind.

But which lures to take? I've got boxes and boxes of them!

Nowadays, I try to restrict myself to taking just ten, end up taking at least double that, then spend the day fishing just one or two of them!

Mullet fishing is so much less complicated!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

All those baits and what a superb day I had. A spiffing tench within the first ten minutes, then regular crucians and mirrors throughout the day topped off by an estimated double figure carp for the first time.Never had one that overhung the landing net before. :)

I fished a water for carp that had a two rod rule.

This was changed to one rod only.

I was more successful with the one rod as I carefully chose my spot, made sure the end tackle and bait presentation was spot on and applied the bait better.

There could be a moral to this story, maybe .......

Regards,

Martin

Depends on how far I've got to walk......

Paul