Pole help?

Bentley

I want to start pole fishing but am completely confused.

I have started fishing a 1-2 acre lake with lots of islands, it has bream, tench and crucian carp. Can anyone help me decide what pole to get, the lake record is only 6 lb and from bank to island is only about 9m.

I have looked at margin poles but are they for small fish as the ones I have seen recommend for commercial carp and 20 elastic. When I am float fishing I use 2-3 lb line so what pole and elastic am I after?

I have looked at the Maver totality 6.8m which is the sort of price I am looking at (under £50). Right length but is it practical for what I am looking for.

Thanks

I have started fishing a 1-2 acre lake with lots of islands, it has bream, tench and crucian carp. Can anyone help me decide what pole to get, the lake record is only 6 lb and from bank to island is only about 9m.

I have looked at margin poles but are they for small fish as the ones I have seen recommend for commercial carp and 20 elastic. When I am float fishing I use 2-3 lb line so what pole and elastic am I after?

I have looked at the Maver totality 6.8m which is the sort of price I am looking at (under £50). Right length but is it practical for what I am looking for.

Thanks

Hi Bentley and welcome to anglersnet.

I would personally always buy a longer pole than you need. This gives you more options when you change venues. To fish at closer ranger you can then reduce the amount of sections you use. Also the longer poles tend to have a more forgiving tip section meaning playing fish is easier. I would recommend between a size 8 and a size 12 elastic if there are carp about but other people will have differing opinions on this. You can get some decent 10m metre poles from the cheshire angling website so this may be worth a look.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Thanks

I agree with scopex that its better to get a longer pole than your actually gonna use because they normally handle better at their shorter lengths as opposed to buying say an 8m pole and using it at 8m

Also as scopex says you are then better equipped when you do go to other venues.

I think what your looking for is something around a 16 to 18 elastic rating even thou you will not be using anything more than 10 on the lake your fishing at the moment but this will mean that the pole will have a more solid construction without sacrificing to much in the lightness , and again will be usefull when you fish elsewhere as its more all rounded . :)

Hi Bentley,

You cant go too far wrong with this at the price: 11m Pole with 3 top kits for £50

That is really good for 50 , your not gonna beat that anywhere and is better and less hassle than second hand :)

That pole looks ok and will be fishable at 9m but any further will be on the heavy side.

I would suggest getting rid of the no1 section and putting external bushes on the no 2 sections.

For the species and size of fish you have stated I would elasticate with middy hi viz 8-10 10-12 and 12-14

You say you use reel lines of 2-3lb. For your pole rigs you will be using hi tec (pre stretched) pole lines of 0.14 (approx 4lb) to 0.16 (approx 6lb) depending on brand with hook length of 0.12 (2.8lb approx) to 0.15 (4.5lb approx). You need these lines to balance with the elastic you are using.

The elastic does the work as opposed to the rod and line when float/ledger fishing - therefore you can use hitec prestreched line with higher breaking strains of the same diameter you use for waggler fishing for example -

3.2lb drennan float fish has a diameter of 0.16, Map carptec 0.16 hitec pole line has a breaking strain of 5lb

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Thank you for all your replies. I ended up getting the Middy White Knuckle 6m. I am very happy with it, I have made up a few rigs and will be using it hopefully on Friday.

It came with two elasticated ends. One had 8-10 but only about 10 inches, I am a bit concerned that this isnt enough elastic and was thinking of getting 5m of the same stuff but elastic 2 secotions.

The other one came with 20-22 I think, was elasticated the full 2 sections. A bit heavy for what I want so was thinking of getting a lighter elastic. What elastic would be good for averae fish 6-8lb but strong enough for a low double? Was thinking 18 but I have no idea or experience.

I would really like a cup for it but I am not sure how to go about it. I have seen Middy cupping kits that are about £20, what would fit my pole? And I also need a paste pot to stop the paste falling off when shipping out, too confusing all different sizes =(

Thanks