Tackle for Big Lures....................

Rob Ward

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

twitchandjerk:

For jerkbaiting you will need a short stiff rod and a multiplier with 100lb braid. I (and a lot of other lure men) use ABU 6501 reels. I have found Power Pro to be the best braid. My rod was built by Dave Lumb (www.dlst.co.uk) but you wont find my rod on the web site. One of his most popular rods is the Fooler, it comes in at 6ft 6 inch and is rated for lures of 1 to 2.5 oz. My rod is a Merlin (and yes it is magic), it is basically a Fooler with 8 inch missing. Whilst it is a bit stiffer than the standard Fooler it is still capable of chucking smallish lures (around the 3/4 oz mark) a fair distance.

If buying your first jerkbait rod and cannot borrow one first to test I would err on the side of stiffness. Too soft a rod and you will not get the right lure action, then again too stiff wont either, but I discovered too stiff is better than too soft (the first jerkbait rod I purchased was one on Dave's Power Prowler's but it was just a little too stiff for some of my lures).

Carl

Yup, Dave Lumb's rods are the biz too; I think he uses Harrison blanks usually (also the biz) but he'll build you a rod based on a St Croix blank if you want, to your own specn

Richard

Rob Ward:

would you still rate that Harrison rod as highly as when you wrote the review?

If so it seems a reasonable price for an initial forray into Jerkbaiting and I think I'll probably go for that one.

Rob

I think you're getting a tad confused here (or I am!). The review link you posted earlier took me to the Harris Bulldogger rod, NOT a Harrison

Yep, I think it's a great rod. Certainly the best jerkbait rod I've used other than my St Croixs and Dave Lumb's Axioms. There are a lot of rods sold as jerkbaiting rods that are simply not stiff enough to get the full range of movements out of the baits, this is. It works because it has a stiff tip and all the bending happens in the second quarter of the rod. The bottom half and top quarter are good and stiff.

I tend to use slightly longer rods these days, but if you don't mind a 6ft rod the Bulldogger is incredable value.

Tim

Only really because you can cast a little further with it and it gives you the ability to change directions a little further out etc. If it were a toss up between having a stiff enough rod or one a few inches longer, the stiff one wins evert time...... errr so to speak!! :rolleyes:

Tim

The rods I use are by Rogue rod company. They are very comparable to G. Loomis but a lot lower in price. $125 - $165 very good quality.

How much is £100 in U.S. dollars? I am trying to get an idea of what you guys pay for rods and other fishing equipment.

JT Bagwell

Contact me any time: Facebook.com/Bagwell or Facebook.com/BagwellsBassTactics or Twitter.com/JeremiahBagwell