Spinning Traces?

dave_h

Best way to tie them please!

I have some Fox easy twist in 30lb& 20lb strains from my bait rigs, and twist my hooks, swivels etc and then use some shrink tubing over the top, would this be ok for spinning traces?

Thanks.

This is like telling someone what under-wear to buy! What one man thinks is comfortable is an anathema to another.

Me, in the days of gimp I knotted it, in the days of Alasticum single strand I twiddled it, in the days of multistrand I crimp it.

Everyman to their own. I've tried all ways and which ways and still rate crimping as the way for multistrand that suits me best. Dead easy, and never let me down, yet!

Fox Easy Twist twists easily, and strongly, as the name implies. The only thing I would say is that you might be better off not using the 20lb as it has a reputation for breaking inexplicably. The 30lb is perfectly OK though.

Tim

As Peter says you're going to get lots of opinions!

I prefer 49 strand wire as it's very flexible and extremely kink-resistant. It costs more per metre than ordinary 7 strand wire, but should work out much less expensive in the long run as it lasts very much longer.

I introduced Wonder Wire a few years back and it had rave reviews in my time at Caliber Tackle. I've long since retired, and the name and stocks have changed hands several times. I have no connection with the current owner (don't even know who it is!) but try http://www.calibertackle.co.uk They also have high quality US-made swivels and snaps at very competitive prices.

Wonder Wire can't be twisted as it's too supple. You can crimp it or better still knot it. The best knot is an untucked half blood. 4 turns are required for the 15lb b.s., but only 2 turns for the 25 & 40lb b.s. Pull on the short tag end to tighten it or it will curl up.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

How strange, steve i bought some wonderwire years ago but it would not twist so being a bit of a die hard i reverted back to my fox twist for bait fishing,just dug it out of the garage its in 25lb strain, ideal me thinks!!

Who didn't read the instructions then? :D

Joking apart, you may find the 40lb even better for lure fishing with typical pike size lures. A friend once joked I used the same 40lb Wonder Wire trace for a year. Let me say publicly here and now that's an outright lie! I changed it half way through the season!

I'd also use the 40lb for livebaiting if I did any, whilst 25lb is my favourite for deadbaiting. The 15lb is great for ultralight spinning when pike are about, and is also highly thought of by many anglers baitfishing for perch and zander.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net