help with spod reel - the devil has farted in my face

teddy

I discovered that the reel i was intending to use for spodding has a floor -

The thin floating braid gets caught in the bail arm unit.

So i am now thinking about a recognised spodding reel.

Any ideas and guidance would be good.

Cheers

I discovered that the reel i was intending to use for spodding has a floor -

The thin floating braid gets caught in the bail arm unit.

So i am now thinking about a recognised spodding reel.

Any ideas and guidance would be good.

Cheers

Don't think that just because a reel has "Spod" wrote on it its any better than any other reel with a big spool! There are a hundred and one surf casting fixed spools out there that will do the job.Just look for a nice big (preferably long) spool....................and one with a decent bail arm pick up!

A lot of guys remove/convert the bail arm on spod reels to a manual/stub pick up (I will post a photo if anyone isn't sure about this) to avoid the problem of the bail arm closing in mid cast.

But then again your problem would be easily (and far cheaper solved) by just sticking a 50lb mono shock leader on!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Don't think that just because a reel has "Spod" wrote on it its any better than any other reel with a big spool! There are a hundred and one surf casting fixed spools out there that will do the job.Just look for a nice big (preferably long) spool....................and one with a decent bail arm pick up!

A lot of guys remove/convert the bail arm on spod reels to a manual/stub pick up (I will post a photo if anyone isn't sure about this) to avoid the problem of the bail arm closing in mid cast.

But then again your problem would be easily (and far cheaper solved) by just sticking a 50lb mono shock leader on!

a picture would be great.

i have a fixed spool sea reel. i have some Korda arma kord to use as a shock leader - maybe i will use the mono you suggest - far cheaper.

thanks for your advice.

I never got the cutting the bail-arm to a stub thing. I can hold the bail-arm open with my monkey fingers.

:)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

"i have a fixed spool sea reel. i have some Korda arma kord to use as a shock leader - maybe i will use the mono you suggest - far cheaper."

Far better as a shock leader since it stretches a bit. You want it about the rod length and enough more to take 5-10 turns around the reel spool. I have snapped 50 lb braid more than once when tossing a heavy spod but never mono in good condition.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

a picture would be great.

i have a fixed spool sea reel. i have some Korda arma kord to use as a shock leader - maybe i will use the mono you suggest - far cheaper.

thanks for your advice.

Doesn't sound like the lack off a shock leader is the problem to me, as you are already using one. Maybe your reel is rubbish. I just use a fixed spool beach casting reel (a cheep Okuma) and i don't get any problems.

p.s. If your not trying to spod 100+ yards, it might be cheaper to try something like 8lb mono as running line (still with a shock leader).

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

One important feature of a reel you want to use for spodding is a very secure bailarm 'click'. The last thing you want is the bailarm snapping shut halfway through a hard cast. I use a couple of old Daiwa Emcast big pit reels for spodding/marker float work. I've had them about 10 years now and they're still going strong.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Teddy I might have misunderstood your initial post.Is it that the braided mainline is getting caught up in the bail arm roller assembly on the retrieve and not on the cast as I thought? Also could you tell me what model the reel is your having problems with or better still put a photo of the bail arm on here (if you cant put a photo up but can take one email it to me at-budgieburgess55@ntlworld.com )

I'm up in the loft this evening getting my Tench gear down so will grab the spodding reel I use with the "stub" pick up and take a pic.

One important feature of a reel you want to use for spodding is a very secure bailarm 'click'. The last thing you want is the bailarm snapping shut halfway through a hard cast. I use a couple of old Daiwa Emcast big pit reels for spodding/marker float work. I've had them about 10 years now and they're still going strong.

Ive got an Emcast I sometimes spod with and cant fault it either.

Ive got an Emcast I sometimes spod with and cant fault it either.

They're on my list for you to service next year as it happens! I'd be lost without them and they must contain a fair amount of groundbait now...

(PS if you could leave the baitrunners with Glyn tomorrow as planned I'd be grateful :) )

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music