Success with rolling meat

Fordy

Gave it a go for the first time yesterday. No barbel admittedly (was fishing on the River Itchen in Southampton where there aren't any apparently!!). But I caught two decent sized chub - one first chuck in a swim and one after getting two waders full while trying to reach a tricky part of a swim. Got to say - it's an awesome way of fishing. Great fun - searching the swim until you feel it's time to move on, then try another swim. You get to search a long stretch and feel you've covered a lot of water. Next up - the Avon and, fingers crossed, a whisker or two!!

Local rumours are that there are indeed Barbel in the Itchen. Apparently one guy had three from Gators mill - I've heard ( but not seen ) that there are photos in Home Stores tackle shop in Swaythling.

Anybody know anything ??

Hi Darrell

I've seen the piccies of the Itchen barbel. (More than one in fact!!) Looks like they were taken a couple of years ago though. Caught from the very same swim where I got my chub last week. I had hoped for a barbel but speaking to a few guys fishing at Woodmill, they seemed to think there are no barbel any more. When those were caught, everyone went down to try and catch them and it was thrashed into oblivion!! I must admit, don't understand why there aren't more - the river looked like barbel heaven to me. Gravel bottom, good flow, lots of cover etc.

Tend to agree, I think the barbel thing is a myth ( nowadays anyway ). As you say it's the sort of river where you would expect them to thrive.

A guy Saturday had a 15lb carp from below the pub, Very short and fat - the carp, not the angler! lol. I had a similar shaped one last winter ( 10lb ).

I think sometimes people hook and loose these and think it's a barbel - hence the myth is reborn.

I had 5 nice chub last night - didnt have my scales but the two biggest were knocking on 5lb. Caught them further up-river at Chickenhall Lane.

This river is Heaven!!

Agreed. I saw two of those carp under the bridge at the top end of the bend by the industrial estate (the bit where it says ''No Fishing'' :mad: ). One definitely a double and the other not far off. I'm sure there's some cracking sport in the Woodmill stetch as well but I've only fished in once so far...and all I caught was a monstrous bloody great eel which was like a python!!!!!!!