Alternatives to a bedchair

Jim Murray

Have owned a supremely comfy JRC 3 leg Cocoon bedchair for a few years now and while it is the last word in luxury I find I'm discouraged from using it due to its' size. Even getting it in the car can be a struggle and often I'm walking a fair bit with it over rough ground.

Have been considering buying a lighter model but have also picked up a cheap self-inflating mattress similar to this:-

http://www.outbackcampgear.com/catalog/ite...229/5581210.htm

Am tempted to try it for single overnight sessions; it's light and would fit in the quiver no problem. Anyone tried them?

I have not tried that particular type of matress but in the past have used similar ones but only on top of the bedchair for added comfort. For some time now I have utilised a blow up mattress for both overnight and long stay sessions as I find it far more comfortable than a bedchair plus it is a lot easier to carry around. I can't see me going back to a bedchair although I am hanging on to mine just in case.. The only downsides are if you you get a slow puncture or a faulty valve which is a real pain if it happens in the middle of the night and also you probably need to take a chair as well. On long stay seesions such as French trips, I often take a quilt and pillow in preference to using the bag. I guess its old age creeping on :lol: .

I have slept on the ground but not any more because it has too many cons - in my mind;

Pros of a bedchair;

comfort (sleep)

ability to get to rods quickly

off the ground (rats, mice, creepy crawlies, damp, rain water)

can sit on it as well

can store things beneath it

raised level enable you to watch rods / the water at night

Cons of bedchair

takes up plenty of space

heavy to carry around

Pros of a mattress

Lightweight

Cons of a matress

Deflation

Can be umcomfortable

unable to level it flat

still takes up plenty of space

Rob.

Think I may try the self-inflator just for one trip then if no good try an inflatable. Only then will I look at replacing the Cocoon with a smaller model.

On the subject of seats I find myself taking a cheap garden fold-up chair on most trips unless the bank is uneven, purely for the fact that it will fold & fit in the quiver...a huge plus.

From the price quoted in dollars I assume you don't live in this country, which is a shame, as Aldi are currently selling some excellent ones at around £10 - at least as good as those that sell for three times that amount in camping stores.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I often take a quilt and pillow in preference to using the bag. I guess its old age creeping on :lol: .

You're not the only one! I can't be doing with my sleeping bag any more. Having to move every five minutes to stop my arthritic joints seizing up and being crammed into a little cocoon just doesn't work!

These days I tend to put up with the grief of carting about a decent bivvy bed but offset this by leaving my chair behind and sitting on my bait bucket.

Some times wish I was lighter so I could go back to using a lightweight bed chair though.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

From the price quoted in dollars I assume you don't live in this country, which is a shame, as Aldi are currently selling some excellent ones at around £10 - at least as good as those that sell for three times that amount in camping stores.

Got mine from Lidl actually, around €16. The Aerobed looks good too, may get one from Argos....money-back guarantee :D