Shimano Stradic

AberdeenAngus

Ideally, because I don't go angling enough to justify many reels, I need 1 quality reel that will do as much as possible.... float, leger, spinning, rangeing from small silver fish on light float rod, through to larger fish on JW Avon / Quiver rod (1.25 T/C)

Angus, the Stradic is a very, very nice reel.

In your original post, your budget was £80, so I replied accordingly.

Stradics are over £100, normally.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

The Static is an excellent reel, but bear in mind that it has a 6.2:1 gear ratio. This may or may not be an advantage with the type of fishing you intend doing.

In a match you may save precious seconds which could make all the difference. However it won't have so much cranking power for playing big fish.

For lure fishing in the summer a fast retrieve can be very useful. However in the winter when you often need to retrieve at a snail's pace it can be a positive handicap.

My own choice was for a lower speed reel such as the Super GT and this has served me well. It has 1 ball bearing less but is very smooth and the RRP is £20 lower.

Also bear in mind that the GTM models come with shallow spools taking just 110m of 3lb line so you'll have to budget in a bigger capacity spool for lure fishing.

[ 03. October 2002, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Once again I find myself agreeing with Steve B

Also the rear drags on these reels are a tad on the small & weak side and so, as Steve B says, it very much depends on what you plan to use the reel for.

Also, these days, quite a few tackle shops are knocking them out to clear their stocks .. at well below the price you're talking about

Richard Peake