Florida Tarpon

JMW

I am going to Florida in April/May for a month and am hoping to go Tarpon Fishing. I have never fished for them before but have been told this is the right time of year for them. Any advice or resource areas would be very much appreciated. I will be staying on clearwater beach so would be hoping for somewhere local to fish for them.

Cheers

Jon

P.S. I am intersted in all types of fishing while there so if anyone has any recomendations or ideas then please let me know.

I realise this is in the Course Forum, but I thought more people would see it here and therefor it would hopefully get a better response.

Cheers

Jon

Ok John. You are in for one hell of a time as long as you get the right skipper.

I went a couple of years ago on an arranged trip via "Florida Keys Fishing Holidays". This company is run by an English Charter Boat skipper, John Rawle, who is well known in sea fishing circles. You may have seen him on John Wilsons Go Fishing programmes.

Best time to fish for Tarpon is at night. We were fishing from 3 in the morning till 8. We also did a couple of extra days for Sharks. Most skippers will take you out during the day and you may stand a chance but at night you will definitely get fish.

During our week 2 of us had about 12 Tarpon up to 160lb, a number of Nurse Shark, Lemon Shark, Barracuda, Sting Ray and various smaller species all of which fight like lunatics. All our fish were caught in the shallows but if you want you can go off shore to the reef (about 7 miles) to get into deep water fish.

If you haven't already booked your fishing give John a call on 01621 776445. He normally does accomodation and fishing as a package but I am sure he could help you with the better skippers to go with.

He is out there in Merch April and May which as you suggest is the best time from Tarpon as they run from the Gulf to the Atlantic. He is probably already there but try his Essex number and I'm sure someone will be able to put you in touch.

Good luck with your trip. I had a magic time and will get back there soon.

An Economist: Someone who sees something working in practice and trys to see if it will work in theory!!!!!!

Dennis,

I just spoke to John, he was very helpful and has given me a number for a skipper a bit closer to my appartment.

Cheers

Jon

Thanks for a most informative post DenisO - it has gone into my "trips for the future" file.

Good luck JMW, and let us know how you get on.

[ 18. March 2003, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I've only ever 'landed' one tarpon, but I'd certainly love to land more. Most memorable fish I've ever hooked into :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Vagabond:

Thanks for a most informative post DenisO - it has gone into my "trips for the future" file.      

Good luck JMW, and let us know how you get on.

Will do!!

Elton:

I've only ever 'landed' one tarpon, but I'd certainly love to land more. Most memorable fish I've ever hooked into   :)  

How many have you hooked?

Cheers

Jon