Polarised sunglasses

JMW

I need some new Polarised sunglasses and could do with some advice on which ones to get. The price seems to vary from £10 to well over £100. How much do you need to spend to get a good pair? Any recomendations and where to get them from would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Jon

The Diamond Geezer:

This has been well covered on a couple of other very recent threads, so suggest you look here

http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/cgi-bin/at...at.cgi?a=232715

DG   :cool:  

DG,

Cheers mate, I am curious to know whether they are good as more expensive ones for underwater vision?

Cheers

Jon

quote:

Originally posted by JMW:

The Diamond Geezer:

This has been well covered on a couple of other very recent threads, so suggest you look here

DG
   :cool:  
DG,

Cheers mate, I am curious to know whether they are good as more expensive ones for underwater vision?

Cheers

Jon

Well, I've tried expensive ones with so-called non-scratch lenses and loads of other claims, and I've tried cheap ones that are so cheap that I don't mind them getting scratched, dropped or whatever, as they are virtually disposable.

Also, don't confuse polarising ability with UV (and other wavelengths)absorbing tints. You can get perfectly transparent but polarising lenses if you want, although a combination of the two obviously works best.

If you wear prescription lenses, then you're in a different ball-park altogether (see the other threads)

Personally I think you'll find the TackleBargains ones are good value for money... and you can spend any extra on some other tackle ... but don't leave home without those polarising, tinted specs! You know it makes sense.

DG :cool:

DG,

Cheers mate, thats exactly what I was after! I have chatted to alot of people who have said that the expensive ones are good and have chatted to people who have said that the cheap ones are good. What I wanted was someone who has tried both so I could compare.

Cheers

Jon

The expensive ones tend to have glass lenses while the cheap ones are probably plastic.

As far as I can tell, no real difference in water vision or glare blocking.

If you do want to spend the money, you can (as mentioned above) get the glass treated to also absorb UV. And they do tend to distort less but even with the plastic I've never found it a problem.

I wear regular eye glasses (for driving and distance vision) and pay a fortune for them. But when fishing, I also carry a pair of $6 polarizing glasses with me. Love em and certainly don't mind getting them ruined.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Just a little tip which may save you a few quid...if your plastic lenses get scratched then you can polish the scratches out with metal polish (Duraglit or Silvo)

I have been doing this for about forty years, and still use a pair that cost me a little over £1.

Work in small circular motions and even quite deep scratches come out.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Polycarbonate (plastic) lenses are cheaper, lighter and probably much safer than glass (i.e. more impact-resistant than glass) which in my opinion, gives them the edge for sports activities, especially when you've got hooks, flies or lures flying about.

DG :cool:

[ 23. March 2003, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Cheers Everyone! I have ordered the ones that DG recomended on tackle bargains and Elton I have told them that it was Anglersnet that told me about them!

Cheers

Jon

quote:

Originally posted by JMW:

Cheers Everyone! I have ordered the ones that DG recomended on
and Elton I have told them that it was Anglersnet that told me about them!

Cheers

Jon

That's the way to do it! You won't be disappointed with the http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/cgi-bin/at...at.cgi?a=232715 ones, and the price will please you I'm sure.

And are they cool, or what?!

shadest.gif

DG

[ 24. March 2003, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]