cost of bait in your area

Bradford Angler

Consider yourselves lucky. I can't buy the things locally at any price. Options are to mail-order or grow my own. Or use meal worms or similar. Great bait item but substantially larger than maggots.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Shropshire prices, Jan 2003:

bread: 15p/loaf (Safeway Super Savers)

wheat: £1.50/cwt

worms: free (but need pickaxe to collect 'em in this weather)

frozen prawns: £1.99/lb (supermarket offer)

fresh sea deadbaits: cheap (wait until 30 mins. before supermarket closes & scan reduced items corner - 6 whole sardines last week for 27p. Freeze at home). :)

Maggots? In short supply 'round here as the rural community still use 'em for cleaning wounds, in certain forms of witchcraft and for pub games Last barter price I heard of was a jar of damson jam for a brace of whites.

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

In East Kent maggots vary between £1.50 to £2.20 pint, with £2 being typical.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

In South Cumbria £2 a pint, casters no chance unless you order them over a week before.

If you pop into various shop's in the Lake District that might have a bit of tackle for sale in amongst the tourist type novelties you might find little carton's (like you get your mushy peas in at a chip shop) full of maggots for around £1.50 sat next to the Kendal mint cake.

Scott.