7lb Perch!!

dave_h

gentlemen.......it was an estimated 7lber not confirmed......it could have been a 5lber for all we know........lets not jump the gun until we get all the facts :confused: :mad:

I know for a fact that if i had a 7lb perch i would have gone home and got a camara!! even if your miles away from home, it dont stop ya from going to the petrol station to get a disposable!!

doesent really make sense.....accept trhis evidence with caution

[ 15. October 2002, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: anglerusmaximus ]

The link that Martin mentioned referred to a perch estimated[at 7lbs. I've chased so many rainbows before that I'm afraid I'm now very cynical.

Indeed, I've been asked to weigh almost a dozen "4lb" perch. The biggest made just 2lbs 10ozs!

Perch seem to be the fish that are overestimated in weight more than any other. Perhaps it's the dorsal fin which when erect makes the fish seem so much bigger.

Genuine captures of 4lb+ perch are very rare, and it should be borne in mind they're roughly equivalent to 40lb carp.

However, I firmly believe that 6lbers swim in British waters. 7lbers aren't an impossibility, but unlikely all the same.

On the other hand you never know - this may have been a 7lber. But I wouldn't bet on it!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

If the link Martin gives is the correct one? The story is told by a diver who saw it whilst diving, first at 8 metres, then again later in the dive. The fish was not caught!

So what’s the Hoo Harr about? Just another report of some diver seeing a large fish. Nothing out of the ordinary there, they report them all the time, if you take the time and trouble to talk to them.

Whether they should be believed is another matter?

The lake he is referring to is also very large, and you could spend a lifetime in pursuit of this fish and the likelihood is it would be dead before you ever put a hook near it!

BTW its most likely to be predatory as well, and there is a total ban on live or dead coarse fish bait in the Lakes

phil h.

Phil, It was caught "allegedly" by a fly angler and the weight was witnessed by the bailiff in a 750acre trout fishery.

Could this fish been mistaken for a Zander?

I have caught many zander but for somebody who has not, then maybe i can see that the mistake could have easily been made.

Mmmm. 7lber or not if I didn't have a camera on me it would have gone where it belongs. People talk about barbel and keepnets but I think perch more than any other species are susceptible to keepnet damage. Just not as fashionable I guess.