weeding out roach

frodo_uk

where ever i manage to catch roach i seem to catch loads of other fish at the same time?

all these other fish(which include perch,bream dace,chub,gudgeon minnows and god knows what else) are mostly a welcome addition.but does anyone have any good tips to target the roach so they at least form the main part of the catch?

rivers, lakes and canals all apply :) thx

fat, stupid hobbit.

It's impossible to eliminate all other species and target one specifically but facing a similar situation I've used sweetcorn to avoid the smaller species and the perch. This would also pick out the better roach though you may have a longer wait between bites.

[ 02. April 2003, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Waterman ]

Hemp usually does the trick, though it might take a little while (say half an hour) to turn the roach onto it if it's not used on the venue much.

The bites are usually lightening fast, so you need to fish with as small a float as possible.

To avoid line bites, caused by fish attacking weights instead of the hook bait, group weights together in bunches of at least three.

Feed around 10 grains at a time, with every cast.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hemp will catch Roach but you must keep it going in every cast 10 to 20 grains at a time! fish caster on the hook at first then onto to hemp later in the session, you will pick up better fish on the actual grains of hemp, this method works on both the river and stillwaters I fish.

I`ve caught chub up to 6lb on the Swale using hemp on stick float (they love it too)

quote:

Hemp usually does the trick, though it might take a little while (say half an hour) to turn the roach onto it if it's not used on the venue much.

The bites are usually lightening fast, so you need to fish with as small a float as possible.

To avoid line bites, caused by fish attacking weights instead of the hook bait, group weights together in bunches of at least three.

I prefer to use styles on my pole rigs as roach cannot mistake these as hemp.

Also you could try Elderberry on the hook when they are ripe on the bushes near the water.

There are also fake hemp particles now available by enterprise tackle.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!