Centre Pin Adcock Stanton

ANDREW PAUL

spindle:

If I could post pic here I would, but when I go to publish the pics I get asked an login/password - anybody know why???

Keep up at the back!!! Glenn - you obviously don't look in on Non-Fishing Chat - 'coz if you did you'd have seen this!

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

OK; got the e-mail Glen, now I feel a bit more comfortable when I take it apart to clean and oil it. I still will welcome any other pictures or paper work on this reel. I also have a guy in the machine shop at the railroad I work at making me the tools to loosen the ratchets.

Thanks again to all of you!!!!!!!!

:):):)

One thing - there isn't much that needs oiling on these reels, the bearing are, I think, sealed, and as it's a ball-bearing race 'pin, it's not worth putting much/any oil on the spindle - when I got mine new from Chris it was dry.

With this particular reel, I'd just give it a clean and be done with it!

Glenn

Blimey, how did I miss this one. Not much to add really, except ,I take mine off from the top. i've made a special tool, a bit like a wide screwdirver with a gap cut in.

Be careful which oil you use, with this and any other 'pin. I us Singer Sewing machine oil, which I obtained from a sewing shop, years and years ago.

Take it apart and give it a good blasting out with Plus Gas (it's a bit like WD40, available from a lot of car shops), then wash it in HOT soapy water.Then rinse in HOT fresh water. The reason you use hot, is because it will warm up the metal. This is so that when you shake the water out, the warmness will dry the rest of the dampness, before corrosion can set in.

Apply the sewing machine oil to any bearings (if it has any), or faces where the reel turns on a spindle. Don't be tight, you can use quite a bit of this oil without problems.

That's it really, just re-assemble it and away you go. I use the same method on all my 'pins and have never had problems. in fact, if you do it with care, the reel will just get better and better.

DO NOT USE WD 40 to lubruicate ANYTHING. It was originally designed to spray all over guided missiles and rockets, not for reels.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org