what should i be doing?

lozza

Been out for a couple session on the river recently which has brought up some issues that I need to over come but I am struggling to find answers, can you guys and girls give your thoughts. I have been using ordinary low diameter hook length line for my leaders which has been fine until I try fishing faster water, the problem being the fly line travels a lot faster that the leader and is pulling my fly out of position and making it react very unnaturally, the river is only about 4 feet deep and seems to be a consistence speed and approximately 25 meter across and the fish seem to hug the far bank, I need to use floating line as I can not cast directly were the fish are due to overhanging trees, I have to cast up stream of them and let the line float in to position. I have only been using floating line is it worth trying an intermediate sinking line?

Are designed fly leaders denser or a different make up than ordinary mono i.e. less stretch? if I put fullers earth on the line it stands out like a sore thumb compared to standard mono but it sinks faster and seems to make the flies go with the flow rather than drag across the river but its a pain to keep having to reapply, could I use rig putty? Is there such thing as a low diameter fast sink mono? I am using both wet flies and nymphs I put an upstream mend in the line but this does not help at the business end any ideas about how to over come this?

I have had some success with the flies that I am using mainly from chub, perch, roach and dace, is there any way to be more specific i.e. trout (I have even caught a few minnows)? I have also used some dry flies (the may fly has been hatching here for around a week) again just getting takes from small fish yet I know there are some very big trout in the river but I can not seem to get through to them can any body help?

When stripping some of the flies back I get an almighty tug, some of them have even snapped the leader but I have yet to land any of the fish any ideas? Will a double fly strength leader absorb the take and should I be using it rather than normal mono?

Presenting a fly in a dead drift to fish which are in slower water than that which the fly line has to traverse is - basically - the difficult bit!

Have a look at this:

http://midcurrent.com/techniques/a-mending-primer/

Thanks the more I read the more I learn. I have tried the up stream mend but it did not have as much effect as I would have liked. Is there a preferred type of fly line that will help the mend?

lozza

I used to prefer a double taper on the rivers but at the ranges I was fishing I discovered it made no real difference. As you tend to be fishing at short range them a steep forward taper is useful so you can load your rod quickly, without having too much line aerialised.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

• 3 weeks later...

Try using flourocarbon instead of mono, it will sink without the aid of fullers earth. Also when casting overshoot and stop the line sharply so it falls back in s shaped coils, this will allow more time before the dreaded skating.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..