New to this

KAUTO

yea but how much is a spool of that! :D

and for france i just use 15lb sensor! :D

i used sensor for years until i got a bad couple of spools which kept breaking well below the stated braking strain

supposed to be 12lb

but line braking with a small perch and roach around the 1 & 1/2 lb

this happened about 10 to 15 times in one day so i sent the stuff back got a full refund as i didn't want the same line

dont get me wrong diawa still make some good kit but i have lost confidence in the sensor line .

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, ive been fishing for years but never Carp fished. Ive always been into my Bream fishing but this year im going to give Carping ago. Ive just invested in some tackle, 2 rods, 2 reels, 2 bite alarms, bobbins etc. My question is what line do i need for my reels ? For Bream fishing it's a standard 4 to 6lb line but i really don't have a clue for Carp fishing. I will be fishing a lake which has Carp running to 30lb and will be using a 2.75lb test curve rod.

Any response would be much appreciated.

P.S It's an expensive hobby this Carp fishing !

Stick with yout bream fishing a few more years then you wont need to ask these questions...............

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Maxima don't sink fast enough for you then?

havent used maxima for donkeys years in fact haven't seen any for donkeys years

we don't get that much of a selection up here in the tackle shops

very little carp/coarse gear unless you use the Internet

when you mentioned maxima i had a 1970s flash back ;)

things where so much easier then

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

As already said, BS means little to how big a fish you can land. Have caught a few 10-14lb Carp on 4lb line before. Puckering stuff for sure! More luck than skill in my case but as long as you have the drag set correctly then 12lb should tame most UK beasties. If you do hook Dinocarp, then take it easy, just as you would a decent size bream.

I only use 10lb myself but none of the waters I frequent need anything stronger.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Balanced tackle is the key.

A 2.5 test rod used with 4lb line, the line breaks.

A light float rod with 12lb line, the rod breaks.

But the match rod with the 4lb line could land 15lb fish in clear water.

The 2.5 test rod with 12lb line will handle most fish you are likely to hook in the UK given clear water.

Balanced tackle is the key.

A 2.5 test rod used with 4lb line, the line breaks.

A light float rod with 12lb line, the rod breaks.

But the match rod with the 4lb line could land 15lb fish in clear water.

The 2.5 test rod with 12lb line will handle most fish you are likely to hook in the UK given clear water.

indeed, most heavier rods and line etc are actually intended not for bigger fish but for casting further with heavier weights or pva bags full of bait etc.

gone

Yet more basic angling fundamentals that are not yet understood by KAUTO.Is it just me or don't you lot think it might be better if he builds up a bit more basic knowledge first before he moves on to carp fishing?

This isn't said to be little KAUTO but to generally help him.You learn a lot quicker when your actually fishing and catching fish rather than sitting behind some buzzers and a bolt rig! Plenty of time and don't spoil it by rushing.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

It's a good point Budgie and one that many people forget. I started carp fishing with a 1 1/4 rod and 8lb line and one buzzer (a good old bitech viper). I then got a 2lb rod and the following year a 2 1/4. At some point I moved up to 10lb line and it wasn't until I moved onto bigger, weedier and generally more snaggy waters that I went up to 15lb line. I upped my rods about the same time to 2 3/4 harrison ballistas and finally settled on a pair of 2 3/4 daiwa dictators (and one 3 1/4). Last but not least I added a single hand built longer casting greys blank of again 3 1/4. That evolution process took probably 20 years and probably over a 100 waters, at home and abroad. For me though I would much rather learn by the lake and try things for myself than through books or magazines (or with no disrespect meant, the internet).

Oh and for the record I use big game in 15lb green, and I bought a 3 mile spool from the US, which is going stronger than I am, despite being probably 10 years old. I always test it before re-spooling and check for damage during use, but it very rarely needs replacing, just maybe the last 10 feet cutting off once or twice a season.

Rob.