Hot laptop

Hi Guys

Need some advice before I call in a computer repair man. My Dell Vostro is running very hot - not causing any problems that I'm aware of but think it could do in the future. It sits on a laptop desk with a cooling fan but that doesn't seem to help. The rear left hand side gets so hot at times I can barely put my hand on it. All suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Peggy

Classic Fishing Books www.classicfishingbooks.co.uk 100s of fishing books for sale/wanted + reviews

Wingham Fisheries www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm Gravel pit syndicates in Kent. 2008 Forum Fish-In Sat May 17 to Mon May 19. For what happened in 2007 see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=75031

Paperweights Plus www.paperweightsplus.com Off the shelf and customised paperweights

BLIMEY! Saw the post and thought "WOW" Peggy buying dodgy lappies?? Never thought I would live to see that......

In my experience Peggy laptops ARE a lot hotter now, but as I think you are an experienced user I don't think it is your lady showing if you see what I mean? the Vostro does I think have a metal chassis? And so will run a little hotter? But I just had a quick chat with a lad who knows and he knows several "Gamers" who use them and have had temperatures monitored and one lad had his showing around 70 degrees C! Not F!! So PRETTY hot! I do know William uses an application to check the heat from his PC and he says he got it from "www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php" BUT I cannot comment on the shall we sat VALIDITY of it?? he very rarely buys anything shall we say! So it's either FREE or from a torrent! But will not harm to have a look??

Good luck love!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

The metal chassis will store the heat and feel much hotter than your run-of-the-mill placky ones. Your laptop should have a built in thermal cut out switch or sub-program.

Checking it with the program chris mentioned may help you decide the best course of action, but they do run hot as normal. Check the vents for fluff, dust etc.

This might put your mind at ease- http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000687.htm

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

does the battery last the approximate time it did new?

does the fan need sucking with a hoover or blowing with a pump?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

ah chesters you beat too the dreaded (dustus Leporids) dust bunnies ,i've a laptop comming my ways tomorrow i suspect also needs a good blow job or sucked clean (oo00err :blink: ) cleaned out with a hoover ,sucking the dust back out through the vents may not work .usually i end up taking the bottom casing of and sometimes even remove the heatsink & or fan . and blow them clear with compressed air can ,or use that hoover attachment no one else knows what its use is the little one that narrows too a slot

hoover-vacuum-crevice-tool.jpg

that usually sorts out those pesky dust bunnies ,if the fan & fins of the heatsink arn't clogged with fluff & dust ,then the fan would be my next suspect .

i've added this as a off chance or precautionary note ,the power connector as these can become dry jointed but still work fine but actually cause micro arcing generating heat (had that recently with a higrade laptop ,that was run on mains the heat at the laptops power socket & connector caused not only enough heat too burn too touch but also melted the power pack/charger & connector inards

DSC00331.jpg

a new charger and a new DC connector fitted ,the laptop was as good as could be expected ,it was after all a hi grade )

Heat & laptops don't mix well.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

i have a large air pump i tend to blast everything with every month ,mrs gets a bit upset but the new layer of dust ousted into the room gives her something to do.

i was querying the battery because they can get hot when they short out and the mains PSU is trying to charge them continually.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i have a large air pump i tend to blast everything with every month ,mrs gets a bit upset but the new layer of dust ousted into the room gives her something to do.

i was querying the battery because they can get hot when they short out and the mains PSU is trying to charge them continually.

Thanks Guys for all your help. Will definitely try the hoover remedy. Haven't ever done that so won't hurt. Also Chesters thoughts regarding the battery is interesting. I had to replace the battery and rather than buy a Dell one which was going to cost £105 the computer repair guy recommended a generic one at £85. However the machine doesn't pick up the battery and I have to hit F1 when booting up for the laptop to actually start up. The battery therefore doesn't charge. Not an issue as I very rarely use the laptop away from a power point and therefore haven't bothered to do anything about it as it's a minor inconvenience. However I wonder if this could be contributing to the problem and whether I need to bite the bullet and splash out on a genuine Dell battery.

Edited by Peggy Burke

Classic Fishing Books www.classicfishingbooks.co.uk 100s of fishing books for sale/wanted + reviews

Wingham Fisheries www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm Gravel pit syndicates in Kent. 2008 Forum Fish-In Sat May 17 to Mon May 19. For what happened in 2007 see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=75031

Paperweights Plus www.paperweightsplus.com Off the shelf and customised paperweights

Thanks Guys for all your help. Will definitely try the hoover remedy. Haven't ever done that so won't hurt. Also Chesters thoughts regarding the battery is interesting. I had to replace the battery and rather than buy a Dell one which was going to cost £105 the computer repair guy recommended a generic one at £85. However the machine doesn't pick up the battery and I have to hit F1 when booting up for the laptop to actually start up. The battery therefore doesn't charge. Not an issue as I very rarely use the laptop away from a power point and therefore haven't bothered to do anything about it as it's a minor inconvenience. However I wonder if this could be contributing to the problem and whether I need to bite the bullet and splash out on a genuine Dell battery.

to check let it heat up then whip the battery out, if its hot..........they should get warm but not hot

Edited by chesters1