Pooley Bridge/ Ullswater

megi308

Hi Folks this is my first post, Im off too the lakes next week and a spot of fishing is on the cards. I have never fished the lakes before so i need some advice on Ullswater. Is it all fly fishing? or can you catch some decent fish on a float ? . Ive also heard maggots are banned on Ullswater?. Any advice will be welcome. thanks Peter

You need to be aware of the closed season rules applied to the lakes.

Baiting. In or on the following named lakes:-

Windermere, Coniston, Wastwater, Ennerdale Water, Crummock Water, Buttermere, Loweswater, Bassenthwaite,

Derwentwater, Brotherswater, Ullswater, Red Tarn, Haweswater and Thirlmere;

(a) use of any dead or alive freshwater fish, salmonids or eels as bait is prohibited; and

(B ) possession of any live freshwater fish, salmonids or eels with the intention of using them as bait is

prohibited.

During the period from and including the 15th day of March to and including the l5th day of June in any year in

the following lakes:-

Windermere, Coniston, Wastwater, Ennerdale Water, Crummock Water, Buttermere, Loweswater, Bassenthwaite,

Derwentwater, Brotherswater, Ullswater, Rydalwater and Grasmere;

(a) fishing with maggots, their pupae or imitations thereof is prohibited; and

(B ) the use of the baits specified in (a) above as lures or baits not on or attached to a hook is prohibited.

Edited by Steve Walker

Ullswater is good for old style fly fishing, but best from a boat and better earlier in the season than this. Ledgering (worms) is good for perch with the chance that you will pick up trout too.

Try worms on the bottom, (some like to use quivertip and feeder tactics) at the boat landing at Howtown on the east shore, you can queeze into a parking place if your lucky. You just might get amongst some good stripeys there.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

During the period from and including the 15th day of March to and including the l5th day of June in any year in

the following lakes:-

Derwentwater, Brotherswater, Ullswater, Rydalwater and Grasmere;

(a) fishing with maggots, their pupae or imitations thereof is prohibited; and

(B ) the use of the baits specified in (a) above as lures or baits not on or attached to a hook is prohibited.

Does that mean you are not allowed to loose feed maggots?

Does that mean you are not allowed to loose feed maggots?

Don't even have any anywhere near the water during thje prohibited period. The south lakes EA bailiffs will do you, in the north and west they are not so bothered.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I misread it the first time, I thought it meant you can't loose feed maggots during the Coarse season.

It's during what used to be the close season for coarse fish, but open for trout.

Edited by Emma two