lure fishing tackle advise?

luremanmike

To anwer a question, I reckon perch ARE put off by certain wires, so I use 24lb 49 strand if I'm after perch near pike. Neat, discreet, strong and practically kinkproof....knotable too.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When targeting Perch (Ive no idea how Chub react to wire?) I definitely think wire puts them off when bait fishing but not so sure about lures as Ive caught a few big perch on lures whilst piking with them. It was allways my thought that rather than put them off the problem was more that a heavy wire trace would adversely affect the action of a small lure (especially a ultra light).

As this discussion has taken place, I have doubled my Perch PB! gone well past the 4lb barrier. Last thursday, in about 5 feert of crystal clear water, in bright sunshine on a rapala 6cm silver/red x rap. I did use a wire even though I was specifically out for Perch, the species having seemed to be 'on' over the previous few sessions, (Half a dozen over 2 lbs on monday). The wire, Drennan 'soft strand' 20lb bs didn't put the big stripey off, nor the others caught, and later in the session I landed 4 jacks, which still was, what I considered to be 'Perch fishin session'....although on this water it is sometimes difficult to seperate the two.

This is another example too, of different waters fishing well (or not ) at varying times of year. Provided i put the time in I expect more quality Perch over the next few weeks, I don't expect to see any after September..glacial lakes play by their own rules it seems.

On Sunday we (my son and I) tried a bit of floatfishing in a shallow bay (from the boat) for Perch, and while we did get a few decent ones on that method, he was snapped twice by pike, for make no mistake they love lobs. I used fine wire on my worm rig from the start and had just as many bites.

PS, I had another 'red letter' day recently when I caught a lake trout from a water which I had fished since childhood and yet had never taken a trout from. It took a spoon (masterline 'toothy critter' 4" brown trout pattern), and that one wasn't put off by my wire trace either.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I caught a lake trout

White spots ?

White leading edges on the fins ?

Big head ?

AFAIK, there are no lake trout present in the UK as they are a North American char species. Are you sure it wasn't a brown trout caught in a lake ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

White spots ?

White leading edges on the fins ?

Big head ?

AFAIK, there are no lake trout present in the UK as they are a North American char species. Are you sure it wasn't a brown trout caught in a lake ?

I am quite sure that it was a brown trout caught in a lake...hence a 'lake trout' to distinguish it from one caught in a river!... this is the lake district and it's how we refer to things. I know what the Americans mean by a 'lake trout' (char species), but this is Cumbria not Iowa.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

As this discussion has taken place, I have doubled my Perch PB! gone well past the 4lb barrier. Last thursday, in about 5 feert of crystal clear water, in bright sunshine on a rapala 6cm silver/red x rap. I did use a wire even though I was specifically out for Perch, the species having seemed to be 'on' over the previous few sessions, (Half a dozen over 2 lbs on monday). The wire, Drennan 'soft strand' 20lb bs didn't put the big stripey off, nor the others caught, and later in the session I landed 4 jacks, which still was, what I considered to be 'Perch fishin session'....although on this water it is sometimes difficult to seperate the two.

This is another example too, of different waters fishing well (or not ) at varying times of year. Provided i put the time in I expect more quality Perch over the next few weeks, I don't expect to see any after September..glacial lakes play by their own rules it seems.

On Sunday we (my son and I) tried a bit of floatfishing in a shallow bay (from the boat) for Perch, and while we did get a few decent ones on that method, he was snapped twice by pike, for make no mistake they love lobs. I used fine wire on my worm rig from the start and had just as many bites.

PS, I had another 'red letter' day recently when I caught a lake trout from a water which I had fished since childhood and yet had never taken a trout from. It took a spoon (masterline 'toothy critter' 4" brown trout pattern), and that one wasn't put off by my wire trace either.

Sounds like some great fish Emma. Nice one. :thumbs:

I should be up your way ( well Coniston) in a few weeks time looking for an English char with Vagabond. Can't wait.

ps. How big was the lake trout?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I should be up your way ( well Coniston) in a few weeks time looking for an English char with Vagabond. Can't wait.

ps. How big was the lake trout?

Thanks, yes they have been exciting sessions, the trout was around 2lbs I didn't weight it, but it was in splendid condition.

I wish you good luck with the char, Coniston offers up some decent pike too, however it's not a water I have fished very much.

I have just got in from a lake, a blank today! hard conditions, the wind has changed direction, was blowing hard and some heavy rain, the trolling motor couldn't cope so had to row the last couple of miles.

I should be up your way ( well Coniston) in a few weeks time looking for an English char with Vagabond.

I found getting a Char quite easy from several Scottish waters but have never tried any of the Lake District venues.However If I'm not mistaken there is (or was until very recently) still plenty of Char caught commercially (but still on rod,line and lure) on Windermere. I did quite a bit of research on this in the early 90's with a view to going there to get one but never did due to "accidentally" getting several whilst Ferox fishing in Scotland.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I found getting a Char quite easy from several Scottish waters but have never tried any of the Lake District venues.However If I'm not mistaken there is (or was until very recently) still plenty of Char caught commercially (but still on rod,line and lure) on Windermere. I did quite a bit of research on this in the early 90's with a view to going there to get one but never did due to "accidentally" getting several whilst Ferox fishing in Scotland.

Having sent a good few days (8ish) over the last few years trolling up and down Coniston, I'm starting to get the idea that it ain't stuffed full of them. :lol:

The locals tell us it ain't what it used to be, but we have caught one char (not Dave), a few pike, perch and an odd trout. Its a lovely place to meet up and chill for a few days and Lutra the juniors enjoy practising their match fishing skills on the millions of minnows...... So who counting. :)

I have wonder if Coniston don't come up with the goods soon maybe Windermere would be a better bet, but that old Vagabond don't give up easy. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep