silver tench

ndeezy

I caught a silver tench at Frank Lakes on Saturday, are these common at all? I've seen golden tench but never silver. It weighed about 1.5 lbs (sorry, no photo).

Also, I deep hooked a few bream using waggler and luncheon meat. I didn't think I was particularly late on striking but what's the typical pattern of a bream bite? Should I have struck at smaller movements? Ah well, thank God for barbless hooks.

Cheers

I caught a silver tench at Frank Lakes on Saturday, are these common at all? I've seen golden tench but never silver. It weighed about 1.5 lbs (sorry, no photo).

Also, I deep hooked a few bream using waggler and luncheon meat. I didn't think I was particularly late on striking but what's the typical pattern of a bream bite? Should I have struck at smaller movements? Ah well, thank God for barbless hooks.

Cheers

I've never heard of a silver tench.

Bream bites on a waggler should be fairly confident affairs - it's the set-up of the float and the shotting pattern which determines how the float behaves. If you're fishing on the bottom, you only want a couple of inches of line actually on the bottom, a couple of small tell-tale shot near the hook (say, one at 4" and another at 8") and then a bulk shot at 3/4 depth. Having said that, sometimes you will deep-hook the odd fish, and as long as you can use a disgorger there's nothing to worry about. If you're deephooking a lot of fish, however, something's not right, and you should make some changes like using a more delicate float and striking earlier.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I caught a long, lean, pale grey tench a couple of years ago. It jumped out of the water completely during the fight, I thought I'd got a trout on at first :blink:.

More waters are stocking the ornamental strains, so there's more chance of catching unusual colourations, such as http://www.fishingmagic.com/forum/forummes.../last/1/V/9/SP/.

Nice catch mate, but you cant beat a perfectly formed deep green monster. I think waters are becoming more and more filed with cross specied fish. I have seen tench with coi carp colors for example, people may disagree but i think its a shame as i like the original species in original colours.

what does everyone else think?

Also, I deep hooked a few bream using waggler and luncheon meat. I didn't think I was particularly late on striking but what's the typical pattern of a bream bite? Should I have struck at smaller movements?

One of the things you can try is to move the bottom shot nearer the hook. This will show bites more quickly. Try doing this a little at a time. If the shot is too close you'll start missing bites.

You may have to change the distance during a session, let alone from one trip to another.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net