Poor start to the Summer season?

maidstonemike

Dont' know about you lot, but all the reports on the forums are very poor. Where are the fish? Mostly dogfish and pouting being reported from shore marks, with a few early mackerel.

Is this the poorest start to Summer fishing for years? Has anyone caught anything near a decent size?

Dont' know about you lot, but all the reports on the forums are very poor. Where are the fish? Mostly dogfish and pouting being reported from shore marks, with a few early mackerel.

Is this the poorest start to Summer fishing for years? Has anyone caught anything near a decent size?

YES

The deeper water is still cold for the time of year and it appears the summer species bass, bream and mackerel to mention a few are close in shore. We fished several deep water marks Monday and there was a lack of summer fish.

Went out of Aberystwyth two weeks back fishing in shore marks 10m of water and it was crawling with bream and mackerel.

Been catching plenty of bass and mackerel from shore marks, so I am guessing water temp is the reason.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

I don't know about shore fishing mike , but try these two for boat fishing.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...t&p=1030994

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...t&p=1069564

Nothing wrong with the size of those fishieeeees

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

very slow on the thames estuary and also the medway from what i gather, a few sole showing up but not as many bass as normal. a mate in my club has a small boat and has had a few but the decent fish all seem to be offshore. we done the breakwater on 7th june and even that was slow with nothing big showing, had a few good anglers having a crack at it that night as well. a few of my members are going down to pagham for the smuts as i know some decent smuts have been coming off the beach there, biggest i herad of was a 17lb fish, proper cracker!

all in all though i agree, its been a very slow start, in fact ive give up till the next breakwater trip and have been stalking round dartford lakes with a few lures nabbing some jack pike and a pretty nice perch :thumbs: , makes a change to pouting on 20lb line and 8oz leads!

Is the sea temperature lower than normal inshore? It's 15C off the Kent coast, about right I would have thought, as 17C is usually the average maximum for high Summer or Autumn.

The boats do seem to be having a good time!

I must do a search for a history of local sea temperatures to see what is going on.

Found this interesting site

[url="http://www.oceannet.org/medag/reports/IACMST_reports/MCP_report/ch_temp/MCPreport_t

Just found a graph of temperatures for Dover, it looks like the 15C at the moment is at the upper range for June, so the theory of low sea temperatures affecting fishing doesn't add up, as the temperatures are not low for June.

Could the temperatures be too high for June, and is this the reason for poor fishing?

Edited by maidstonemike