What length Lure rod?

stooby

Hi all,

I am keen to start lure fishing for Pike and want to get myself a lure/spinning rod, but I have seen so many different lengths I am not sure which length to go for?

Is it better to have a shorter rod for example 8' than one at 10' - what are the advantages/disadvantages between the long and short?

I will primarily be doing most of my fishing on lakes, although I will hit the river occassionally!

Many thanks,

Stu...

Depends on what lures you intend to use.

If you're just going to use small jigs, plugs, mini-jerks, spinnerbaits, spinners and anything small-ish and you want to stick to fixed-spools, get a 9 foot spinning rod and then you have enough control, reach, adaptability and you can also use it for perch, trout, chub, mackerel etc.

If you want to go exclusively for pike, then I'd up you stakes. I'd suggest (note: I'd suggest) a 6 - 6.5 foot trigger-grip lure rod and a GOOD multiplier. Normally, you can have a nice rod and a pretty crap fixed-spool and get away with most things but with lure rods, you can get a decent Fladen jerk rod for 30 quid and save the cash for a nice new ABU multiplier and you want to do that because the reel is invariably more important in this case. Don't be scared of multis. It takes a day to learn to use one, a wee while to master one and you'll never look back after having one.

I'll say no more because I have no idea what you want to do and no doubt someone will be along in 12 minutes to tell me I'm wrong.

Have a nice day.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I would plump for the 8' rod. A 10' rod will become tiring after extended periods of use. Plus its easier to manouvre a shorter rod if you have awkward swims occasionally. As we don't 'generally' use such heavy lures as our american cousins, anything shorter I feel impacts on fish control when trying to steer a pike from snags.

Its all a compromise however, depending on casting weight, duration and how snaggy the waters are, determining how much control you need.

I personally use a VERY cheap 8' carp stalking rod off ebay and have great fun. I do intend to use my 6' from my kayak however.

No idea on reels myself, I guess I just make do. Might have a look into that myself...

Renrag

Edited by Renrag39

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

OK....4 minutes.

:)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Would've been less but I made a cuppa...

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

...and you didn't offer?

I'll keep my biscwuits (that's what the Panda calls them) to myself then.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Got me some bourbon creams, dark choc disgustives and some of them pink wafer thingamybobs. I'm sorted!

Nice cuppa black unsweetened coffee... mmmmmmm...

Hey, if you ever get lost and end up in Narfark, kettles always on. It fits really well too! Brings out my eyes...

Renrag

8' is probably the best length for most beginners. For most applications, 7' is probably better but using short rods takes a bit of getting used to if like me you grew up with 13 match rods.

I'd start out at the lighter end for maximum versitility, maybe a rod casting upto 40g.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.