www.viva.org.uk

Peter Waller

Have a read of:

http://www.viva.org.uk/campaigns/fish/index.html

These are the people that claim that 'Fish obviously feel pain'. They then suggest that you become a 'veggie'. Do these people not realise that everything that they eat was once alive?

Very selective thinking (italics because that may not be an appropriate word) for those folks. Carve, shave, sand, whittle, pound, melt, deform, distort, all the facts to make those that will, fit into your mental slots and those that will not, be ground into dust and discarded as unworthy.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Whilst I do question some commercial fishing methods and policies I accept that it is a means of obtaining human sustinance. But he reality of life is simple, whilst fishing for food is seen as nescessary, and even Jesus took part in fishing for food, angling, in principle, is safe. How can you ban one without the other?

Interestingly I picked up atleast 100 leaflets at my local vet. Bit insensitive, in a fishing port!

Does anyone else ever just eat meat and not worry? Or is it just me?

As fishermen we have a responsbility to ensure the safe return of any non-edible species (since they are just a leisure activity), and also to be selective in what we keep for the table (Years ago it was acceptable to knock out four or five trout in a session, whereas now, on our rivers, most anglers restrict themselves to just one or two - and many catch and release all the time).

However, I am generally not -that- concerned about how food gets to my table. I appreciate the reason why I can buy two nice Salmon fillets for half the price you could ten years ago is because of more intensive farming, BUT, I see nothing wrong (at all) in farming foods (at least it sustains the natural salmon in this case). With regards to trawling and the like I think a coastline ban (for recreational angling) is a good idea, BUT, frankly the rest will take care of itself.

I live near Grimsby which probably has 1 or 2% of the fleet it did 50 years ago. In time -and probably not that long- fish stocks will rebuild in the North Sea. It's not like ALL the fish have gone, but it is true that they are more scarce. Hence trawlers don't go looking for them, and the fish get time to rebuild (Thats pretty much how all food chains work). In time I suspect more commercial angling will take place as stocks become more viable.

What I do know is there are more important things in the world (human rights atrocities, wars, famine, starvation, lack of clean water, drugs trafficing) which if these people put half the effort into stopping would probably make the world of difference.

Ian W

quote:

even Jesus took part in fishing for food
Oh great, we're relying on fictional characters from books defending us now! May as well trot out Mr Crabtree for an ad campaign. And Robinson Crusoe wasn't adverse to a bit of fishing, although his methods would be frowned upon now.

Gary

><((((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><(((º>

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´><((((º>

Gary, whether you believe in Jesus is, debatably besides the point. you must remember that America, where much of the 'anti' originates, has its Bible Belt and much of PETA's propaganda is counter to what many believe. Also I wouldn't mind betting that an awful lot of PETA supporters profess to being Christian!

By the way, even the Roman history books confirm that Jesus existed, as did Robinson Crusoe, namely Alexander Selkirk.

Peter Waller:

By the way, even the Roman history books confirm that Jesus existed,

They also claimed that the Druids burnt sacrificial victims in huge wicker effigies...

The historical Jesus Christ of the Bible is without doubt proven to be a real person, and not some made-up character.

So many documents attest to this - and not just evidence presented by Christians, who it could be argued, have a vested interest.

For example, Josephus the Jewish historian, who if anything would love to disprove the reality of Jesus Christ.

The existence of Christ cannot be doubted by anyone that has objectively explored the question.

Thus endeth today's sermon. :D:D:D

Check out my weekly Angling Journal at.....Stewart Bloor's Angling Journal