circle hooks

fishtec1312

my mate was going down on are local lake,but work stopped me,but in the last week i got hold of some size 6 circle hooks,after having a kip he was on the phone,how many more have you,he had six carp ,were we would only get that between us on a good night,when you look at them they just look like they;ll catch,the design is made so its impossible to deep hook a fish.they are mostly used at sea,and in larger sizes

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are very good, I agree. I use them in sizes 12,6 and 3/0 myself. Either when piking or where eels/perch are a possibility on my sleeper rod.

However, I don't use them when using the quivertip, as they don't seem to hook up as well using that method (for me).

There is definitely a time and place for circle hooks.

Also, never had ANY problems with soft mouthed fish but I do recommend crushing the barbs down as the hook shape resists ejection anyway.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

They are very good, I agree. I use them in sizes 12,6 and 3/0 myself. Either when piking or where eels/perch are a possibility on my sleeper rod.

However, I don't use them when using the quivertip, as they don't seem to hook up as well using that method (for me).

There is definitely a time and place for circle hooks.

Also, never had ANY problems with soft mouthed fish but I do recommend crushing the barbs down as the hook shape resists ejection anyway.

Renrag

thans rengrad,for eels and perch,theyed be perfect,cause thats my main gripe at the moment ,treatment of eels.if people are having problems with eels,this old guy told me a trick when catching for the plate or pike bait,he used to get a road kill mainly rabbit,but any small dead animal,wrap it in a old shirt leaving a few holes and sleeves open came back a couple of days later and it would be full.this can be used the same way but just pegging somthing out dowstream,i know. eels arnt the same numbers as years ago ,but if your having reel problems give it a go.so you can get them down to 12.thanks

Edited by fishtec1312

I love Eels mate, best fighting fish imho and thats what fishing is all about for me. Fooling the fish into taking a sharp pointy, baited piece of metal and then the challenge of bringing it in on suitable gear.

My target for this year is a 3lb broads Eel.

Renrag

Edit: Yes you can. I got the sakuma? ones off of eBay. I use the 12's with a lump of cheesepaste and a biro spring usually. Going to try popped up paste on a corkball next.

Edited by Renrag39

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Ive not tried circles for eels yet and really must this year.As far as pike and carp I have tried them a lot and they just aint for me Im afraid.

What size/model circles you been using for eels?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Tried the 6's and 12's, both Sakuma's. They may be fairly cheap but they've not let me down, good strong wire and reliable eye so far. Not had any Eels on the 6's but had 6 on the 12's, only one hook-up was awkward (not deep but not the jaw either) but I forgot to crush the barb on that one too which really didn't help. Eel seemed fine but I'll never truly know.

I have no preference really for either size (get my best bream on the 6) but I'm going to get some 10's in bulk and use them as my staple hook for my sleeper rod if that helps. I seem to miss a few more bites with the 12's than the 6's but get less of them on the 6's. Compromise time for me!

Renrag

Edited by Renrag39

Tried the 6's and 12's, both Sakuma's. They may be fairly cheap but they've not let me down, good strong wire and reliable eye so far. Not had any Eels on the 6's but had 6 on the 12's, only one hook-up was awkward (not deep but not the jaw either) but I forgot to crush the barb on that one too which really didn't help. Eel seemed fine but I'll never truly know.

I have no preference really for either size (get my best bream on the 6) but I'm going to get some 10's in bulk and use them as my staple hook for my sleeper rod if that helps. I seem to miss a few more bites with the 12's than the 6's but get less of them on the 6's. Compromise time for me!

Renrag

Ive got a shed load of circles but none that small! Can you let me know where I can get some to try in size 10? (might as well start with the size you find best).

What size are the average you have been getting (also narrow or wide head) as this will undoubtedly influence the best size (ie mouth to hook size ratio)?

Only narrow head but would expect to get wide heads on a fish bait. We have a good selection of both on the broads.

Only up to 2lb so far. Mostly about 1 3/4lb (ish).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-x-Sakuma-440-Circ...=item895ff1712d

I don't tend to worry as much as to hook/mouth size ratio myself, more a size that will be totally masked by a good sized bait, but small enogh to fit in any half decent sized fishes mouth. Be it Eels, Bream or Rudd.

Renrag

Edited by Renrag39

Thanks for that Ive just ordered a pack of 10's and 12's.Will let you know how I get on as soon as the Tench start spawning I will be turning my attention to eels for a few trips.

In the past Ive used circles more for their different "hook up" mechanics.With some species I fish for (Tarpon,Alligator Gar) the way their mouths are makes hooking with a normal hook very difficult. Ive experienced how the "anti deep hooking" aspect can work (with Blue Gills etc in the US) and have tried them for a few species in the UK to see if either of these characteristics will be of any use. When I tried them for Wells catfish I found no advantage over normal hooks but I'm afraid one big disadvantage.If a bait was swallowed (doesn't happen much) the circle would "trip" and therefore hook a Cat on the rear grinding pads.Un hook able yes as in you can reach it ok but extremely difficult to remove.You cant even cut the hook in this position without leaving the point in the pad (base of pad).

As for better hooking then Ive found no advantage with the species Ive used them for (Carp and Pike) In fact I found them worse for carp than standard set ups. Despite many going on about them for pike Ive experienced to many missed takes to warrant sticking with them,This may be down to the rigs/tactics I use as others seem to find them ok.As I don't have major issues re deep hooking either species I see no point in me using them.

I'm more interested in the anti deep hooking potential for Perch and Eels.Been in the back of my mind for many years but my ever decreasing time on the bank has prevented them from getting a fair trial. Short session fishing is destined to very much become my future angling so both these species fit in with this perfectly so at last I may be able to see this to some conclusion.

Budgie - next time you might want to look at their web site http://www.sakuma.co.uk/c/130/fishing-hooks .A little cheaper per pack and free UK shipping. Also easier to get the ex-vat price if you happen to be VAT registered. Their US shipping is high for one pack at 2.50 but it is the same 2.50 if I order 10 packs so I'm going to order a few.

Renrag - thank you for the info about these hooks. The smallest Gamakatsu Octopus circle hook (my usual circle hook) is a #8 and I've wanted some smaller ones but didn't have any luck the last time I searched. I'll be ordering some of the 10s & 12s.

If you want to take care of the Sakuma gap from #10 to #6, you might want to try the Gamakatsu Octopus circle hooks in a #8. Not expensive and excellent hooks.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President