river leven dunbartonshire

craig1970

i have moved to west dumbartonshire and was wanting to know more about the river leven whats it like to fish in?etc.I was into course fishing when i lived in teesside but dont know what are the best rivers to fishin up here .

The river leven at balloch is good for coarse fish, It has bream, roach, dace. perch and a few other species. Day tickets can be bought at the newagents shop at bonhill bridge or Lomond Shores at Balloch. Try the pegs immediately at the rivers entrance to the Loch or fish the various pegs downstream between the sunken boats, Use trotting tactics with maggots for good catches of Roach. I used to fish there frequent as I married a dumbarton lass.

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

• 4 weeks later...
The river leven at balloch is good for coarse fish, It has bream, roach, dace. perch and a few other species. Day tickets can be bought at the newagents shop at bonhill bridge or Lomond Shores at Balloch. Try the pegs immediately at the rivers entrance to the Loch or fish the various pegs downstream between the sunken boats, Use trotting tactics with maggots for good catches of Roach. I used to fish there frequent as I married a dumbarton lass.

hi was at ballloch at the weekend walked past a big sunken boat just were balloch bridge is .i walked up to the opening of the loch on the ballloch park side dont know if that was the rite end mate they were a few people there but none fishing could you tell me were to get worms n maggots cheers .

By you get about a bit don't you, bit too far North for me but Andy Mac should be able to put you right, thought at first you meant the Leven in Dumfries and Galloway

hi brian long story mate my partner had enough of england,wanted to move back to scotland to her family.trying to find some were to fish quiet place though,its all salmon and trout fishing up here bri,want to catch my first barbel.u do a bit of barbel fishing dont you wwats the best way to get them meat or halibut pellet hairrigged havent fished for ayear dying to get out mate,been on forums but not getting anywere.dont know were to start bri do you know anyone up this area im in dumbarton river leven only 5 mins away anyway hows things keep in touch craig.

hi was at ballloch at the weekend walked past a big sunken boat just were balloch bridge is .i walked up to the opening of the loch on the ballloch park side dont know if that was the rite end mate they were a few people there but none fishing could you tell me were to get worms n maggots cheers .

You can buy maggots and worms also from the paper shop/tackle shop at bonhill bridge, but I don't recommend it, they come in polystyrene cups with lids on and stink to high heaven, It would be better going to Glasgow Angling Centre maybe the day before you plan to fish and buying your bait from them, they have a bigger turn over and is better quality, failing that there is always Kirkintilloch angling who organise & run most of the Scottish federation of coarse anglers matches. Have you tried going to the canal at bowling for coarse fish? Its only 5 minutes by car from Dumbarton as is the river endrick at drymen which can be fished on a day ticket for dace, roach, bream etc.

see the Scottish federation of coarse anglers website for contacts

http://www.sfca.co.uk/

You can buy maggots and worms also from the paper shop/tackle shop at bonhill bridge, but I don't recommend it, they come in polystyrene cups with lids on and stink to high heaven, It would be better going to Glasgow Angling Centre maybe the day before you plan to fish and buying your bait from them, they have a bigger turn over and is better quality, failing that there is always Kirkintilloch angling who organise & run most of the Scottish federation of coarse anglers matches. Have you tried going to the canal at bowling for coarse fish? Its only 5 minutes by car from Dumbarton as is the river endrick at drymen which can be fished on a day ticket for dace, roach, bream etc.

see the Scottish federation of coarse anglers website for contacts

http://www.sfca.co.uk/

thanks george for helping me out is the canal a popular place prefer somewere quiet think il have a drive there today.balloch was mobbed the other day wen i was there dont think id go there like,fancy a canal though .i parked a dalreoch station the other day and walked a good distance found a good spot only problen was about a mile walk dont know if you can fish it free aslong as you have a licience,.there was nobody there so peaceful think you could fish it with a feeder worm hookbait or maggot wat about float fishing its avery fast flowing river,rite going to find this canal george thanks again for helping me craig

thanks george for helping me out is the canal a popular place prefer somewere quiet think il have a drive there today.balloch was mobbed the other day wen i was there dont think id go there like,fancy a canal though .i parked a dalreoch station the other day and walked a good distance found a good spot only problen was about a mile walk dont know if you can fish it free aslong as you have a licience,.there was nobody there so peaceful think you could fish it with a feeder worm hookbait or maggot wat about float fishing its avery fast flowing river,rite going to find this canal george thanks again for helping me craig

Craig if I had to recommend a quiet place then it would have to be the River Endrick, You can go for days up there without seeing another sole, I haven't fished the Canal myself but have walked along it a few times, The best place I would recommend would be around the area of the basin at Bowling just before it goes into the Clyde estuary.

There is no Free fishing on the River Leven anymore you will be required to buy a day ticket, it is £2.50 per day, if you get stuck and want to know about the Leven then the best place to go and ask or contact is the link I have added here, the site is predominately for game anglers but they are a friendly bunch and will see you OK for the coarse side of things if you ask.

http://www.lochlomondangling.com/home.htm

Edited by George387

Craig if I had to recommend a quiet place then it would have to be the River Endrick, You can go for days up there without seeing another sole, I haven't fished the Canal myself but have walked along it a few times, The best place I would recommend would be around the area of the basin at Bowling just before it goes into the Clyde estuary.

There is no Free fishing on the River Leven anymore you will be required to buy a day ticket, it is £2.50 per day, if you get stuck and want to know about the Leven then the best place to go and ask or contact is the link I have added here, the site is predominately for game anglers but they are a friendly bunch and will see you OK for the coarse side of things if you ask.

http://www.lochlomondangling.com/home.htm

hi george,think ill try and find this river endrick what fish are in there?is this aday ticket does it hold bream have you fished it?can you use groundbait there and worm. the canal at bowlig looks ok its just mobbed with people and cyclists.is there bream in the leven dont know whats in there george.went on a website lastnite said river endrick game fly only thanks again for info mate