A Reel For Barbel Fishing

Dan Dan

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you are right they are super reels but just a bit to flash looking for me, I prefer the older models 5010's and 5000gte's with their black colour.

That's only one spool though, the other is an altogether more normal looking silver and black, much the same as as the older spools you've mentioned.

Went out this lunchtime to the tackle shop down the road (yeah I'm lucky I have one 5 mins from work :)) and they had a Okuma 150 baitrunner for £20....should I get it? I was told it's the basic model, but for what I want will it be ok?

Is braid necessary as mainline? I didn't realise how expensive it is compared to mono/fluoro ><

I never use braid for barbel fishing, Trefor West is convinced some scares on barbel he has caught are caused by braid, where the fish has rolled and got wrapped in it. Maybe, maybe not but I have desided if that's the case I will stick to mono.

Liam has an Okuma epic for carp fishing & I have given him my centre pin since getting my AN pin, both are well made reels. For the money they are good reels. Another cheap reel is the Zebco, I got Matthew one when he was younger than Liam and it is still going well.(he's 25 now) He uses it on the odd occaison he comes up the river with us.

Just tell them you want it for barbel fishing and see what they say. Laim uses a John Wilson/Masterline reel which again is a really good, low priced reel. The list is endless................................

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

I should be meeting up with Dan later to fish his local rivers, so will take both my Okuma reels with me to show him, both have been brilliant when using them, one of them was second hand but still felt brand new :)

James