FEEDER FISHING

terrynudd

I don't know about the full instructions but here are a few tips.

1) try to always cast to more or less the same spot to build up the feed, this means casting within your capabilities not trying to beat the record for the longest cast.

2) when using maggots bait the hook first before filling the feeder not the other way round as you will lose all the maggots from the feeder before you cast out.

3)Put out pelenty of groundbait for bream as they like lots.

4)stay glued to Anglers Net forums as you will pick up lots of tips here.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

if feeder fishing take some extra clip on weights so you can add more weight to your feeder if fishing in a river with a heavy flow. Allways use the lightest feeder you can (sure a 2oz feeder will go a long way but hits the water like a brick). When you cast out use a marker point on the oppersite bank so you hit the same spot each time and let the feeder fall to the bottom naturaly then after about 10 mins just take half a wind on your reel to put your hook bait over the loose feed from the feeder.

Visit our NEW FISHING Website (now updatedANGLERS-TALES

Hi Terry,

You dont say if its a still water or river.

Assuming its a lake then take some time out to plumb up and find a good flat spot to fish.

When you've located this, clip the line up on the line clip so you know you are casting the same distance each time,pick out a far bank marker for the direction and start to bait up,depending on the size of the feeder, put out approx 8 - 10 casts with the feeder full and then put on your hooklength, anything up to a 5 ft length for Bream.Get your casting accurate and you wont go far wrong.Consistancy with distance and direction is what you should be aiming for,keep the swim going by casting every 10 mins.

Hope this helps. :D

When casting I've found it best to start feathering the line when the feeder reaches its highest point in the air and then trap the line just as it hits the water.

This keeps some tension in the line as the feeder sinks that will show as a bend in the quiver tip.

After the feeder hits the water leave the bail arm open as it's sinking and allow line to slowly pay out so the feeder drops straight down instead of swinging back towards you on a tight line.

The quiver tip will straighten back when the feeder hits bottom.

I usually tighten up to the feeder at this point, wait a bit for the groundbait to come out then reel in a bit and tighten so the hookbait is over the groundbait.

Please tell me if I got this right - I learned it all from experience a few weeks ago! :D

Also remember to not strike at knocks. These could be false indications such as line bites or a fish nudging your feeder. Sit on your hands and wait for a proper bite.....The ones that nearly drag the rod in.

As with float fishing you still need to think about how much feed you are putting in the open ender. As a rule I put a few offerings in the feeder after every fish. If you are not catching, or are getting line bites just use plain groundbait.

Reading this thread I notice one comment regarding leader length, 5ft for bream being mentioned. Personnaly I have never tried a leader of this length, can anyone explain in what circumstances a long leader will score over a shorter one, or visa versa.

Thanks

Ian

Ian

There is a fairly straightforward rule regarding length of hooklength when feeder fishing or the distance betwwen hook and dropper when float fishing. The shorter the distance the more positive the bite, but if bites are finiky then the hooklength needs to be lengthened which gives the fish more confidence.

having it = shorter

wary = longer

Hope this helps

Steve