Why do they do it???.

Guest Keith Finn

Guest Chris B

I regularly hit this problem on a couple of pits I used to fish in the autumn. The problem disappeared when I stopped fishing them at weekends.

I blame this big pit/long range culture that's been sweeping carping for the last couple of years.

On these particular lakes, they sit on one bank and fish across to the far margin, lines across six or seven other peoples' swims.

Guest Chris Shaw

If you sit and think about the way these people are fishing it does them no good at all, sad thing is they think it does.

Think about the way the line is entering the far margin they are fishing to.

If they really wanted to fish the far margin with any real positive approach then they would fish from the bank they are casting to, set the rods up back from the waters edge and fish slack lines into the margins in front of them. A much much better way than having line s going all over the place. People I have seen fishing this way by casting across the whole lake I have never seen catch, they must do I suppose, but I have never seen them.

What it comes down to is, what somebody else has already mentioned, they want to chuck lead around because they have spent hundreds on big pits reels etc.

One water I had this happen on, was I once arrived at the lake just on daybreak so it was still a bit dark, setup my rods , cast a short under arm chuck, and settled down. As daylight came I noticed a bivvy on the far bank in front of me. Bivvie opened sleepy carp angler emerged, reeled in re-baited and then recast straight over into the margins where I was fishing. When he realised that somebody was opposite him he proceeded to cast and cast and cast to drive me away. Drive me away he did`nt and a row ensued, he came stamping round my side of the lake accusing me of poaching and all sorts. I was sitting down low in the swim and he towered over me standing on a high bank, funny thing is if I could have been bothered to get up and step up onto the high bank I would have towered over him.

Turned out he was a bailiff, are you there Ray? Still fishing Fairlop Waters ?

Oh and according to him daybreak is'nt until the sun comes above the treeline biggrin.gif

------------------

Chris Shaw

[This message has been edited by Chris Shaw (edited 10 January 2001).]

Guest Rob Ward

I agree completely, there is nothing wrong with Big Pit fishing ON BIG PITS. But this is an estate lake of around five acres, quite ridiculous.

Guest mpbdsnu

I agree with all the comments made lads - honest LOL. It is totally wrong what the carpers did on this occasion, and I'm sure others will do also - unless checked! There is no excuse for such behaviour, BUT - I'm afraid I still have to say that by lure fishing on a small lake of only 5 acres whilst other anglers are present is a little selfish in my humble opinion! I still ask you to look at it from other's points of view: what do you do ask the carpers to reel in their so that you can have to freedom of the lake??? Come on chaps!

Guest Chris B

Lure fishing isn't selfish, as long as you don't go chucking them under other people's noses.

I'm really not into starting another of these pikers vs everyone else in the world discussions, but can honestly say the only people I have ever fallen out with on the bank have been carp anglers.

This invariably stems from people who want to:

- Sit in one swim and fish another one 60 yds up the bank, with line going through the four swims in between...

- Fish the far margins, even if they arrive after other people are already fishing there...

- Stop other anglers drifter fishing the lake because it could spook surface feeding carp they might want to stalk later on...

- Fish your swim if fish are showing there...

- Stop you using oil-injected baits because the slick could spook carp...

I had all five of these on one small(ish...) lake.

What do other people think..?

Guest Chris Shaw
Originally posted by Chris B:

Lure fishing isn't selfish, as long as you don't go chucking them under other people's noses.

I'm really not into starting another of these pikers vs everyone else in the world discussions, but can honestly say the only people I have ever fallen out with on the bank have been carp anglers.

This invariably stems from people who want to:

- Sit in one swim and fish another one 60 yds up the bank, with line going through the four swims in between...

< I have done this, but always reeled in and recast somewhere else if it gets busy or other people want the swims.>

- Fish the far margins, even if they arrive after other people are already fishing there...

< Something I have never as a carp angler.>

- Stop other anglers drifter fishing the lake because it could spook surface feeding carp they might want to stalk later on...

< I have had drifter floats go through my swim whilst carp fishing, the person in question was at 50 to 60 yards away, drifting the length of the lake. >

- Fish your swim if fish are showing there...

< I call this one tough, you choose to fish where you fish when you arrive, if the fish show somewhere else were somebody is fishing then tough. You just have to swallow.>

- Stop you using oil-injected baits because the slick could spook carp...

< This does not bother me at all as it can attract carp as well >

I had all five of these on one small(ish...) lake.

What do other people think..?

I have been a carp angler of some 20 plus years and I get the hump with some of the anglers out there today.

------------------

Chris Shaw

[This message has been edited by Chris Shaw (edited 10 January 2001).]

Guest Chris Shaw
Originally posted by Chris B:

Which ones - the carpers who get upo other peoples' noses or the people like me who moan about it..?

Not yourself, the selfish anglers who want to stitch up the whole lake or half a dozen swims.

------------------

Chris Shaw

Guest Chris B

Fine - the ironic thing is I get on really well with some of the "real" carpers, who fish the place all year round.

I used to spend a lot of time on the lake and was more than happy to pass on info about carp sightings and their movements.

The less sociable carpers tend to disappear once it starts getting cold.

I could never really understand them, because half of the carp anglers were just as cheesed off about them as I was.

Guest mpbdsnu

I agree totally, Chris B, lure fishing is NOT selfish, and, as I said before, I agree with many of the comments previously made in relation to this. However, to expect other anglers to real in their lines to allow someone else the freedom of the lake then it IS selfish to expect such. I have come across the same type of angler on many occasions myself, so I can empathise with anyone experiencing this. But..... well, I feel I am banging my head against the proverbial brick wall here!

Selfishness is having/wanting everything one's own way - so that has to work both ways, doesn't it? There are two sides to this.

Firstly, Keith and Rob, in my humble opinion, should have politely asked the other anglers to bring their lines in and not take up so many swims. Secondly, if no satisfactory conclusion is reached, then an official complaint should be lodged to the organisation responsible for managing the fishery. In between, either could began casting out their lures in fairly close proximity to the area already wrongly occupied. The other anglers would soon have got the message and then perhaps everyone could have enjoyed their days fishing, without encroaching upon each others swims.