Why do they do it???.

Guest Keith Finn

Originally posted by thecarpangler:

Unfortunately carp angling does attract it's share of pig ignorant sods.

But to a lesser extent so do other factions of the sport.

I could give examples but people would only see it as defending the carp anglers, so I wont bother.

I agree with you on all points, there. But on a personal note, when I was regularly carp-fishing, if I wanted to fish the margins I did so, BUT by casting (or preferably PLACING a bait down my own margin, not by casting across the lake)

Jonty

Guest thecarpangler

I try to fish my own margin aswell.

But that's because I'm quiet enough when fishing not to disturb it.

I know when it's time to move on from a lake when I go to fish it and look for the swim that will not get me hassled by others, as opposed to the swim with the fish in.

Selfish?

definitely, I enjoy the quiet and solitude.

Fishing is my escape, I don't go to get wound up by gonks.

Originally posted by thecarpangler:

I know when it's time to move on from a lake when I go to fish it and look for the swim that will not get me hassled by others, as opposed to the swim with the fish in.

And that is one of the factors which made me leave still-waters, and start fishing the rivers, just over 12 months ago.

Jonty

Guest mpbdsnu

Hi Keith. Forgive me for saying this, but I do feel you appear to be a little 'anti' carp fishing??? There is no excuse for leaving lines out all over the place when other anglers arrive on the scene - definately no excuse for rowing out such a short distance, etc. However, in that situation I would like to look at it from the carpers point of view. Were you not aiming to lure-fish the whole lake? "...fish a few swims here", you said. When we arrive at a venue do we not pay for 'a swim'? They were wrong Keith, but, may I suggest you were also??? Sorry to put the cat among the pidgeons, so to speak, but there are two sides to most issues - including this one, I feel!

Guest Keith Finn

MPBDSNU,

I am not anti "carp angler", I do my fair bit of Carp fishing myself.

What I was objecting to was that he had cast from the Island to the furthest point of the lake. This meant that all the swims, from where he was ensconced in, to that point of the lake where un-fishable because of his lines.

He was fishing the margins, why could he not have moved over to that swim and fished, where his three baits were placed, and fished 5 ft out?.

By the way it is a Club Water and I can fish as many swims as I want to, but I do not do it at the expense of other peoples enjoyment!.

Keith

P.S. Welcome aboard Rob smile.gif

Guest Rob Ward

The guys actually had around a third of the lake to themselves and he was still walking around the Island with a spinning rod..

Guest Chris Shaw

I know what you mean, I can remember a water we used to fish for carp where there was so many bailiffs they had the place stitched up.

Walking round there once, one of them was using three rods (two only allowed) and had roped off the footpath around the bay he was fishing so nobody else could fish there. The other trick they would do was to cast across the lake to fish the margins on the opposite side stitching up at least three to four swims on the opposite bank, and if you setup opposite then they would just keep casting until you moved, trouble was they would get the hump with me because I would not move.

I had similar thing happen on another water a few years ago as well, whereupon I had cast out to just under halfway across a lake, it being a long narrow water, another carp angler turned up, setup opposite me and cast his baits so they landed halfway between my bank and where I had cast too. He then fired out loads of bait, oh well I thought I am going in an hour, now the best bit. The indicator one one of my rods slid upto the butt ring, the reel handle turned and I struck, After about a 10 - 15 minute fight there on the bank lay a large mirror carp, on weighing this fish it turned out to be just over 26lb, and according to the lads who fished there on a regular basis and knew the water, said they had never seen the fish before and that it was the biggest from the lake at the time. My claim to fame I suppose.

------------------

Chris Shaw

[This message has been edited by Chris Shaw (edited 10 January 2001).]

Guest pete falloon

Keith

I have been thinkinh about a direct anwer to this one, why do they do it? Well it's only because they are greedy and ignorant! biggrin.gif

Guest Chris Shaw
Originally posted by pete falloon:

Keith

I have been thinkinh about a direct anwer to this one, why do they do it? Well it's only because they are greedy and ignorant! biggrin.gif

I agree 100% Peter............