Deaths from unhooking

*Ant*

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alan - regarding rigs to prevent eels becoming deep-hooked. I demonstrated one on the eels programme of "Screaming Reels" which is shown from time to time on Sky tv, although you may have copies of all the series. The eel one was programme 7 of the 1996 series.

The rig is simply a 1 - 2" section of twin flex electricity cable (1mm diameter)with the hook pushed through the join between the wires and trapped just after the hook eye with a section of whipping or stop knot or similar to make the hook look something like an anchor.

However two of the best anti-deep-hooking methods are of instant striking or using a helicopter type rig which almost always results in a lip-hooked eel.

Regarding eel web sites if you put eel+fishing on http://www.go-fishing.co.uk you can get up to 60000+ references. You could also try

www.jcpoiret.com

www.predator-fishing.co.uk (eel fishing for beginners part 1 and 2)

www.eel.nl

www.flyshop.no

www.fishnewzealand.com/eel.html

www.traffic.org/dispatches/archives/march2001/eel.html

www.traffic.org/bulletin/nov2002/eels.html - very interesting as this illustrates the collapse of the European Eel stocks very dramatically.

Alternately the European Eel Anglers Association website will be on line soon but in the meantime there are several eel angling club websites on this Anglers Net site.

Brian Crawford

Please help conserve the European Freshwater eel

- return all eels alive to the water.

- Join the European Eel Anglers Association

Brian Crawford:

Alan - regarding rigs to prevent eels becoming deep-hooked.

Thanks Brian,

I will be taking a look at the links that you have provided in the morning. I will also be printing things out for my eeelie friends.

Information that you and people like you provide help so many anglers on Anglers Net

If anyone has any Eel related question they will know where to look :)

Thanks again.

Alan(nl)

[ 03. May 2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Alan Taylor:

Alan Taylor:

Disgorgers of the type Alan is describing have been popular in the midwest U.S. for a long time, (nl)

Nightwing, these were patented 20 years ago, can you get a picture of one to me or even the article please? Any costs incured will be refunded.

You have post mate.

Alan(nl) [/QB]

Got it Alan. Sent you a pic, but here is a link to the cabela's page that has them also. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...D&parentId=cat9 0003&parentType=index&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.2_A&_DAV=http%3A%2F%2Fa1460.g.akamai.net%2Ff%2F1460%2F1339%2F6h%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fcabelas%2 Fen%2Fcontent%2FPod%2F00%2F20%2F85%2Fp002085ii01.jpg

Sorry about the long link, you have to cut and paste it into your browser. It takes you directly to the cabelas page featureing the hook disgorger in question. This is a very "high tech" version, much cheaper ones are also available.

[ 05. May 2003, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: Nightwing ]

quote:

This is a very "high tech" version, much cheaper ones are also available. [/QB]

Thanks mate, I just clicked on the link and bingo.

Definately poached the idea. Not worried though as there prices are crazy and I know ours are of the highest quality but cost a lot less. Made in England at a time when that was respected world wide

Funny note, you mentioned your Dad having had one,

well I had an order from a guy whose late Dad had one, his elder Brother was executor of his will and kept it. It caused a bit of upset at the time evidently :D

Thanks again for your help.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/