Countryside Alliance Angling Forum

Peter Waller

Ss,clap,clap,clap,

Unfortunatly you won't get the likes of them to associate with us,we are just a small minority,lol,i don't know about you,but if hunting is ever banned it will not stop me!

worm

[another new nickname,lololol]

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jolly good day out watching the local hunt, I will always support their right to hunt with hounds. What difference does it make if theres 50 dogs or one dog chasing the fox? In the end, if its caught, its killed and pretty damn quickly.

SS, well done.

Tally ho, GOD, the real one.

Lee, you made the point regarding hurtling along on the back of a creature that would crush you to death if it fell on you.

I do not think I would have the balls to chase across fields and fences on horseback, a fair degree of real courage (or foolhardiness) is called for I think.

I wonder if anyone knows the accident rate for hunters?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Guest sslatter

Trent barbeler wrote:

“But aside from myself, Fred J Taylor, Jack Hargreaves and BB all intrepid and highly respected anglers also took part actively in all the passtimes I did. As did/do many other respected anglers. So does their involvement make them bad people? I dont think so and certainly, the likes of Fred J Taylor, Jack Hargreaves and BB have brought vast amounts of enjoyment to millions via their writing and broadcasting based upon their fieldsports activities.”

OK. I grew up on “Mr Crabtree”, when every self-respecting pike angler had a gaff in his tacklebag, together with a pointed gag, and lead shot, coarse knotted landing nets and keep nets etc etc. But times change, and we have to change with them. To quote the example of celebrity fishermen who had their heyday some 40-50 years ago is, I think, missing the point. Were they born later than they were, they might have grown up thinking differently. No-one can say. We just didn’t know any better then. It’s due to the actions of forward-thinking modern anglers that we now don’t use gaffs, gags, knotted nets, etc etc. and that we (mostly) now have a healthy growing ethic of conservation and respect for the environment and the fish itself.

I note with no surprise that none of the pro-hunting lobby had any answer to my points about their usual stock reasons to continue hunting live animals with hounds etc. Strange that, eh?

There’s no NEED for it, other than their own “enjoyment”.

And as for the “we’ll be saying ‘I told you so’ in a few years” argument, it just won’t happen. You can keep on trying the old scare tactics, your same old blinkered head-in-the-sand myopia, but it won’t work. People aren’t stupid, they won’t fall for that one. The angling industry and its associated peripherals turns over too much money, and there are too many anglers (3,000,000+ and rising) for it to happen. A minority, but a sizeable one. Foxhunting just can’t get near this proportion, and this fact, coupled with the fact that none of the pro-foxhunting arguments holds water, will sound its death knell. BONG!! Hear that bell lads?

Hi Cranfield, you have done well!

Its gone rather beyond the initial topic, although its hardly surprising. Some good stuff has come out from both sides of the fence. Both Graham and SS have put forward good arguements. I think the comment that the blind will not see applies to both sides of the fence though.

For what its worth, and please don't think I'm weakening, I think SS makes some good points about some of the people who hunt with lurchers etc. As does Graham X.

Left in the hands of country folk, who understand the ways of the country, then perhaps there is an arguable case for many forms of hunting to kill.

There are problems though, as Graham points out with some conviction. Some of it is down to townies and city folk who turn to such country sports with little or no understanding. Their motives have nothing whatsoever to do with vermin control, let alone management and welbeing of the countryside, it is about killing and destroying for sadistic, mindless pleasure.

From that aspect Graham speaks a lot of sense. But looked at from a country angle I think SS also speaks a great deal of sense.

Compare it to four-wheel drives. In the hands of a working farmer, or landowner, no problem. When the city folk take their four wheel drives out into the country to play, oh dear, the pointless mess and wanton destruction.

SS and Bloodworm. My objection to the CA is that they are doing their damndest to embroil anglers into an arguement that anglers, by and large, do not wish to be involved in.

It does not mean that I am totally opposed to much that the CA is claiming to be fighting for.

Unfortunately I think that you have both widened the arguement in defence of a, hopefully, lost cause. That said I think that some of SS's comments have been sound and constructive.

But I do think that you would both be wise to take onboard much of what Graham has said. No smoke without fire springs to mind on many of his comments. Blindness is not limited to one side of the arguement.

Regretfully I think the CA has drawn lurchers etc out into the public gaze in their pathetic defence of fox hunting. Left alone most folk would not even know it goes on, let alone wish to take sides on the issue.

I do feel angry though when badgers are disturbed by dogs and killed for no good reason whatsoever. Do people eat them? Coypu and hedgehogs make good eating but badgers, even if they do cook up well, should be left alone. On balance I think Graham wins the arguement so far, although SS has put forward a strong case.

GrahamX, I find it difficult to justify hunting foxes with hounds, to non hunting people.

I also find it difficult to justify catching fish (not for the table), to non fishing people.

Thats without getting deeply into livebaiting,(incl worms ,maggots etc), keepnets and other detail.

The 3 million+ anglers that always get mentioned (although its usually 5 million), do not exist.

Check out the EA website, look at how many licences they sell a year. Ignoring the fact that lots of anglers buy two,even add the sea anglers, you still are nowhere near 3 million.

Why don,t we all agree to differ ?

There is no doubt, that one group of us will be proved right, in the fullness of time. :)

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

I cant beleve what im reading on this site i will "quote" craig mason .........."i am totally against the countryside alliance trying to get normal anglers like me involved in there blood sports and i think any normal angler will keep well clear of them as we don’t kill the fish we catch for the fun of it i only kill the odd trout that i catch for the table and put the rest of them back not like the countryside alliance who support barbaric so called sports like fox hunting and badger baiting i have seen the end of a fox hunt as i live in a rural area and it was disgusting so there is no way that i want to be associated with people like that".......well craig said it all you fish for FUN! ..if fox hunting is PEST CONTROL and it gets banned what chance has fishing got when it is in this case a plesure passtime how are you going to justify it you cant.......what does coarse fishing achive think about it? .NOTHING except personal plesure .........they will eat you lot alive.....WAKE UP! And now to quote Peter Waller who said...."I'd be quite happy to see foxhunting go the way of bear-baiting etc." well peter bear baiting was a sport wher animals got injured for the pleasure of man...sounds a bit like coarse fishing to me.............do the right thing support the CA and keep the future in fishing go it alone and you will sink thats it ive said my piece i wont post again thank you for your time.

y.i.s

kanny

Graham X:

If it were, why would keepers and huntsmen breed foxes to return to the wild? If you deny this happens, well, it most certainly does. I’ve seen it in the forest, so don’t tell me it doesn’t happen.

Could you give us a map reference please!